cross referencing 92 454tbi EGR valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
hey guys, trying to cross reference the now discontinued AC DELCO 214-5429 / 17091064 EGR valve. i can’t seem to figure out which EGR offered by parts stores today would cross reference to this one. whenever i enter a 92 454tbi with an over 8600gvwr i get a mismatch of potential EGR valves.

the egr on my truck has the larger vacuum port I.D. anyone have a part number for one that worked on their tbi454 engine?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tricky to go on that 8 digit part # because GM changed the part #'s many years ago to a different 8 digit #, and then changed it again to the 7 digit style. Annoying.

The only two I see listed on Rock don't show crossing with either of the part #'s you listed. Furthermore I wouldn't necessarily trust the pictures shown because at least the first offering, the "Ultra Power" has pics of two different valves in the same listing! Check it out - pic #2 and #4 are not the same valve.

I wish I had an answer for you on which one to choose. I'd be in the same boat if I was replacing my EGR right now because my '93 C3500 7.4 / NV4500 truck shows the same listings and I would be scratching my head at them, too.

I'm curious where you came up with those numbers though - the 214-5429 / 17091064. When I look my truck up on gmpartsdirect, the valve shown for "7.4L, 3/4 ton. All. 7.4l. G10-30 vans. 7.4l." is the 19210638 (of course also discontinued, and neither of the #'s on Rock cross to it.)

Can you still make out the part # on your original valve? That's how we used to have to look them up when going to the dealership; when I needed one for a completely different application, the counter man looked it up and that's when I found they had changed the part #'s. He brought out a GM box that the # didn't match (still 8 digits, not the 7 digit with the dash new style #), but when we pulled the valve out, the # stamped into it matched my original. It was nutty. Anyway, I haven't tried to read the original on my '93 7.4 just yet and it may not be legible due to lots of rust.

Richard

TylerSteez

Reaction score
Tricky to go on that 8 digit part # because GM changed the part #'s many years ago to a different 8 digit #, and then changed it again to the 7 digit style. Annoying.

The only two I see listed on Rock don't show crossing with either of the part #'s you listed. Furthermore I wouldn't necessarily trust the pictures shown because at least the first offering, the "Ultra Power" has pics of two different valves in the same listing! Check it out - pic #2 and #4 are not the same valve.

I wish I had an answer for you on which one to choose. I'd be in the same boat if I was replacing my EGR right now because my '93 C3500 7.4 / NV4500 truck shows the same listings and I would be scratching my head at them, too.

I'm curious where you came up with those numbers though - the 214-5429 / 17091064. When I look my truck up on gmpartsdirect, the valve shown for "7.4L, 3/4 ton. All. 7.4l. G10-30 vans. 7.4l." is the 19210638 (of course also discontinued, and neither of the #'s on Rock cross to it.)

Can you still make out the part # on your original valve? That's how we used to have to look them up when going to the dealership; when I needed one for a completely different application, the counter man looked it up and that's when I found they had changed the part #'s. He brought out a GM box that the # didn't match (still 8 digits, not the 7 digit with the dash new style #), but when we pulled the valve out, the # stamped into it matched my original. It was nutty. Anyway, I haven't tried to read the original on my '93 7.4 just yet and it may not be legible due to lots of rust.

Richard
i got those numbers by checking the number on the egr that is on my truck. i believe once i googled the “DJY 17091064” that is on the egr on my truck, that second 214 number popped up for that egr on a GM parts site. i could be wrong seeing as i googled at least 40 different part numbers trying to cross reference them lol. i was fairly sure i was correct at the time of writing the post, however. seeing that rockauto discrepancy is what kicked off this whole search, every auto parts site and store has conflicting sensors. if they do list the correct sensor, it’s discontinued and they don’t sell/have it in stock.

yep i’m in the same boat. mine is still functioning but while i was troubleshooting a high idle, it crossed my mind so when i looked up replacements i couldn’t find one. i’m really trying to find one for when it does fail. if not, i may just make a block off plate and get a custom tune that tunes out egr operation, i don’t want my truck dependent on a part i can’t easily get anymore. i’m sure ebay has a couple for $100+ but that’s a sinking ship that won’t be around forever.

if you do find the time, i’d be very interested in what part number is stamped on yours. i heavily searched this forum and there isn’t really any mention of the part numbers for the early tbi454 trucks, just the 350s

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looking through my pics I was mistaken about the rust issue. I was trying to fight the EGR off mine when I initially got the truck but the base of it, and the fasteners, are rusted like crazy and so far everything I've tried hasn't worked - the nut just wants to round off. The top of the valve does appear to be in great shape though and a little later this morning when it's daylight I'll try to make out the numbers; they appear to be totally legible.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

TylerSteez

Reaction score
Looking through my pics I was mistaken about the rust issue. I was trying to fight the EGR off mine when I initially got the truck but the base of it, and the fasteners, are rusted like crazy and so far everything I've tried hasn't worked - the nut just wants to round off. The top of the valve does appear to be in great shape though and a little later this morning when it's daylight I'll try to make out the numbers; they appear to be totally legible.

Richard
the nuts and studs on mine were very rusty and corroded as well. i took my egr off yesterday to clean it and rule it out. the wrench was very loose on the nuts but luckily they both started spinning the studs out with the nuts before the wrench slipped. the top of the studs have some form of drive on them, you could probably grip it with a small pair of vice grips and just turn the whole stud out.

i ended up wire wheeling the studs, changing the gasket, and replacing the 5/16-18 nuts

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
i got those numbers by checking the number on the egr that is on my truck. i believe once i googled the “DJY 17091064” that is on the egr on my truck, that second 214 number popped up for that egr on a GM parts site. i could be wrong seeing as i googled at least 40 different part numbers trying to cross reference them lol. i was fairly sure i was correct at the time of writing the post, however. seeing that rockauto discrepancy is what kicked off this whole search, every auto parts site and store has conflicting sensors. if they do list the correct sensor, it’s discontinued and they don’t sell/have it in stock.

yep i’m in the same boat. mine is still functioning but while i was troubleshooting a high idle, it crossed my mind so when i looked up replacements i couldn’t find one. i’m really trying to find one for when it does fail. if not, i may just make a block off plate and get a custom tune that tunes out egr operation, i don’t want my truck dependent on a part i can’t easily get anymore. i’m sure ebay has a couple for $100+ but that’s a sinking ship that won’t be around forever.

if you do find the time, i’d be very interested in what part number is stamped on yours. i heavily searched this forum and there isn’t really any mention of the part numbers for the early tbi454 trucks, just the 350s
So we've got the same valve, which isn't surprising. Looks like the standard issue one for a TBI 7.4 in a truck with greater than 8500 gvwr (so essentially, 8 lug 2500's, and 3500's) .. gotta love that it's discontinued! Coincidentally, drove my truck to the transmission shop today which is about a 40 minute trip, and it started crapping out about 10 minutes away from the place. Surging, stumbling, general misbehaving. I'm wondering if the EGR is sticking. Gonna have to try to get those nuts off and clean this sucker up.

By the way, to the point I was making about them changing the 8 digit number a while back - the 17091064 which crosses to 214-5429, apparently 214-5429 may also have been ‎19210638 at some point.

Richard