EGR delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only partially correct. The (mostly) inert gas introduced by the EGR valve is not just to cut down on emissions (NOx), it does also reduce the tendency to ping because it helps cool the combustion chamber simply because the exhaust gas is pretty much depleted in terms of what will burn. This isn't some happy byproduct of the design, it is part of the intent of the design. This (combined with other aspects of the engine design) is how you are able to run regular grade fuel given the fuel and timing maps in the stock tune.

Removing the EGR valve, or operating with a defective one, can (and often does) result in pinging, whether you believe me or not. Maybe as I suggested in a previous reply, you could spend some time with a graphing scanner and watch the knock counts, and witness knock retard - in other words the ECM/PCM pulling timing back out because of the pinging. Not exactly what you want if you're interested in a performance increase. This is a performance -decrease-

Richard

Thank you for posting accurate information.

I agree that a defective egr could cause a ping, if it's stuck open.

Incorrect. Please re-read the above post.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
EGR stuck open will run like a bag of turds. Which would be terribly.

EGR is largely only used under light to moderate loads to cool the combustion chamber temps and keep from pinging ( a la Richard has already explained ) and a added bonus lowers combustion temps and reduces Oxides of Nitrogen emissions ( again Richard beat us all to it )

Wide open it should be closed and not affect 1/4 mile times, if that's what you are worried about. Clean it, make it work right, leave it