doors rattle when hitting bumps in road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wezmykat

Reaction score
you mean the weather stripping? i pulled it all out and stuffed it with styrofoam tubing to "fatten" it up, that did help a lot, video link:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

also, i know the electrical tape not a long term solution, but it's very inexpensive and it works, no it does not jam the mechanism, it just falls off once really worn out, also since i drive this vehicle less than 2000 miles a year, it made sense to me
My guess is that 29 years worth of shaking on the absolutely terrible roads around here (+ rust) has taken it's toll on the body and it will never be like new

I would love to know what the "real" solution is, since all the strikers and locking mechanism seem to be lined up good, they're not worn, the doors don't hang at a strange angle, the pins are fine and straight, doors slam shut with a very solid satisfying "vault" sound, so what do you want me to do?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everything is straight and tight, put a 2x4 on your floor jack under the door and gently raise it until it bends the door ever so slightly higher and the door shuts properly. I had to do it on my truck, and it was beautiful for a while, but it's sagged a bit now. Still, it closes much nicer than it used to.

One of my kids tried the electrical tape trick on his car a couple years ago, and it ended up being a horrible mess when he went to install a new, good latch. The longer it stays on there, the more it gets jammed into every crevice and becomes a gooey mess.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you mean the weather stripping? i pulled it all out and stuffed it with styrofoam tubing to "fatten" it up, that did help a lot, video link:

also, i know the electrical tape not a long term solution, but it's very inexpensive and it works, no it does not jam the mechanism, it just falls off once really worn out, also since i drive this vehicle less than 2000 miles a year, it made sense to me
My guess is that 29 years worth of shaking on the absolutely terrible roads around here (+ rust) has taken it's toll on the body and it will never be like new

I would love to know what the "real" solution is, since all the strikers and locking mechanism seem to be lined up good, they're not worn, the doors don't hang at a strange angle, the pins are fine and straight, doors slam shut with a very solid satisfying "vault" sound, so what do you want me to do?
Another example:

johnjr

Reaction score
I did something a little less ghett. I put a self tapping screw through the door post to hold the striker nut in place, took the striker pin out and put a piece of vinyl tubing over it and put it back together. No more rattling over bumps.

wezmykat

Reaction score
lift with 2x4, will try that
vinyl/surgical tubing, going to put that on my shopping list
should also mention that on the tailgate the strikers came insulated from the factory vs the doors they look to be bare, either way seems like the replacement of the striker wont solve anything but the tubing will

somewhat related video on a heavily damaged truck:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 7