doors rattle when hitting bumps in road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I have had this problem for a long while on my 94 silverado. I bought this truck new and have cared for it all these years and now with lots of miles, smiles, and memories, i have found the ultimate GMT400 forum for my old girl. So i have to ask, my doors rattle on the latch pins when going over rough roads of ehich we have a lot of out here where i live.

I have replaced the upper and lower hinge pins and bushings on the drivers side door years ago when they failed and before the door could do any damage to the hinges, latches, or door jamb. Passenger side is still good. Bushings are intact.

It sounds as if the door catches are rattling up and down on the latch pins. I planned on removing the door panels to clean and regrease the window regulators, and replace a pair of lazy door lock actuators. I also planned on removing the door catches to clean and regrease them.

Is there anything to look for specifically on the catches, or maybe eomething on the catches that may need to be repaired to tighten them up again. I'd love for my doors to not rattle on the buckboard roads out here.

Thanks in advance.
Moparmat2000

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh well that sucks. I may change out the bushings again. Not too hard to do. Kits are pretty cheap, and i have the door spring compresser tool for this job. I wonder if there is a way to tighten up the catch mechanism. I will look at these once i get them out of the truck and get them cleaned up. If not i wonder if i can still get new door catches from the dealer.

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well that sucks. I may change out the bushings again. Not too hard to do. Kits are pretty cheap, and i have the door spring compresser tool for this job. I wonder if there is a way to tighten up the catch mechanism. I will look at these once i get them out of the truck and get them cleaned up. If not i wonder if i can still get new door catches from the dealer.

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced the bear claw latch and the pin it catches when I did my hinge pins and bushings on my doors that sit them up nice for me

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW, my 98 with 87,000 miles will need the hinge pin/bushings job done as soon as the weather gets better. Not sure how many miles on your truck, but the doors are about 90pounds, and those hinge pins are damn small. When the pins/bushings wear, the latch can strike the peg on the door jam, and perhaps this bends it outta shape?

If it were mine, I'd lift the doors at the end, and see how much hinge play there is. If there's play there, I'd just do the hinge pins, and see if the rattles go away. If not, well then you gotta dig into the door to get that latch out.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the alternative is two to four hundred on new strikers and latches. Maybe just new strikers and some super thin PEX or tubing to take up the slack? I'll have to experiment with this...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk