DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if i remember right 4*-6* negative camber is the spec, 8 is a little much, the closer to 0 you get the more it will want to wander on its own and have kind of a floaty steering

rear hangers should have been up higher, the spring on that angle makes for a harsh ride and more axle walk toward the body as they compress

Thanks for the input. Around 6* seems to the the goal for most. Rear hangers need to come off any way to fully weld Tue plates on the frame (sucks not being able to weld worth a Damn) raising them is no problem. That would also bring the castor angle down some to right? If you were to guess would you raise them up 1-2"?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For comparison purposes:

How far forward my springs are:
You must be registered for see images attach

Where my rear mounts are and the angle of the shackles with weight on them:

To get this angle we measured 3 different 73-87 K10 trucks with the suspension loaded and unloaded. This setup mimics them.

Is it just the picture or is your shackled almost verticle when loaded? From what I have marked the axle is 1-2" forward compared to the ifs.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It now sits on the boggers. All in all it is a good 2" taller (minus tires), the rear needs an aal to level out the truck. I'm very pleased with the overall height of it, seems like it will clear the tires with ease.

When jacked up level the fender measurements are 50" up front and 48" in the rear. Picture is Leveled out.

Height reference. The baby girl approves.

I still have lots to do. Steering arm stud kit did not show up yet so still no steering. Everything still needs fully welded up, shock mounts and shocks need to be made up, brakes need bleed and mounts welded to frame, frame still needs cut to clear the springs up front, diff needs built, still waiting on carrier and spider gear set.
As of right now, with all parts included (minus the tires, which are unneeded but wanted) I have a total investment of a little under $1000, spare 350 engine, 700R4 trans and a gm 10 bolt front axle. Hoping to have the truck all finished up in a few weeks for hunting season and normally a decent mud run at the end of sept

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Truck is looking good! Glad your getting it finished!

----------------------

Is it just the picture or is your shackled almost verticle when loaded? From what I have marked the axle is 1-2" forward compared to the ifs.
It sits forward just a little bit. When I placed my axle, I centered it in the wheelwell, which was IIRC 1/2" forward of the IFS setup. Because of this, I didn't have to trim my bumper but on compression I hit the rocker by the door. It's MUCH worse now with the 8-lug swap, they sit 1.25" wider on each side :/

I wanna see the SS Fbody in the back ground :p
Heh. I don't have many pictures of it because it doesn't go out much. My dad's car. 1997, he bought it a year old used with 10,000 miles on it. Right now it has 21,000 miles on it (no joke). I've driven it twice...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Truck is looking good! Glad your getting it finished!

----------------------

It sits forward just a little bit. When I placed my axle, I centered it in the wheelwell, which was IIRC 1/2" forward of the IFS setup. Because of this, I didn't have to trim my bumper but on compression I hit the rocker by the door. It's MUCH worse now with the 8-lug swap, they sit 1.25" wider on each side :/

Heh. I don't have many pictures of it because it doesn't go out much. My dad's car. 1997, he bought it a year old used with 10,000 miles on it. Right now it has 21,000 miles on it (no joke). I've driven it twice...

Have you considered a 0 rate to help that a little bit? I'd rather trim a bumper then the rocker.