DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
It now sits on the boggers. All in all it is a good 2" taller (minus tires), the rear needs an aal to level out the truck. I'm very pleased with the overall height of it, seems like it will clear the tires with ease.

You must be registered for see images attach

When jacked up level the fender measurements are 50" up front and 48" in the rear. Picture is Leveled out.

Height reference. The baby girl approves.

I still have lots to do. Steering arm stud kit did not show up yet so still no steering. Everything still needs fully welded up, shock mounts and shocks need to be made up, brakes need bleed and mounts welded to frame, frame still needs cut to clear the springs up front, diff needs built, still waiting on carrier and spider gear set.
As of right now, with all parts included (minus the tires, which are unneeded but wanted) I have a total investment of a little under $1000, spare 350 engine, 700R4 trans and a gm 10 bolt front axle. Hoping to have the truck all finished up in a few weeks for hunting season and normally a decent mud run at the end of sept

dont put in a aal yet, if those are new spring up front they will settle after flexing it a little while

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont put in a aal yet, if those are new spring up front they will settle after flexing it a little while

They are the springs from the k5, far from new so shouldn't settle any. Will raising the rear hanger lower it much u think?

Also any pics of your snorkle setup? Other tips for keeping things water tight? I plan to route all vent hoses up higher.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
They are the springs from the k5, far from new so shouldn't settle any. Will raising the rear hanger lower it much u think?

Also any pics of your snorkle setup? Other tips for keeping things water tight? I plan to route all vent hoses up higher.

every 1 inch you move that hanger should drop it 1/2 inch

the snorkel started as a cold air kit from ebay for the tbi air hat and filter, i used heavy wall 3" pvc through the fender, added a 90* elbow, then used the aluminum tube from the cai kit that has a mounting bracket that i mounted to the fender for support, then a 45* pvc elbow along with straight pvc pipe to another 45* pvc elbow that has a bracket to mount the pipe to the visor, then its another length of strait pvc to a 90* behind the cab and a real short piece of pvc to clamp the filter onto and also another support bracket, now as a water guard for the filter i used some round steel duct pipe and put on a solid cap then cut out a hole in that cap big enough to go over the pvc and have the clamp area of the filter fit through the hole so it is held over the filter by gravity and the band clamp screw, the bottom is completely open and i think hangs down about 3" longer than the filter.

here is a older one back when it was 3" lower and on 40's but you can see the filter cover better.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the aluminum air hat is thin aluminum and crushes easily and loosens up so if you do use something like that you need a way of making it stiffer.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Have you considered a 0 rate to help that a little bit? I'd rather trim a bumper then the rocker.
Never cut the fender, since it's farther inward than the bumper it's not a huge deal. When I paint and do body work I plan on actually trimming them up proper. I think the big cut out of the bumper doesn't look very good compared to a massaged rocker.

i like them more than the ebay tow mirrors. the ebay ones look way too chunky for my taste.
I think both are valid options, but after using both mirrors for their purpose (towing) the dodge ones have considerably worse visibility over the GM ones. The placement and size/shape of their convex mirror isn't very useful.

Honestly, If I didn't tow with my truck, I would have left the stock stainless mirrors on it.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice job man I wish I had your truck I need a rough and tough mountain/hunting rig like that. Keep up the good work

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Sold the front diff from the truck and rear axle from the Jimmy this weekend. So far it ads up to around $1200 invested with the tires. Only other major cost will be to have everything welded up and the gears installed.

I got the x-over steering done today, brakes bled and the frame cut to clear the springs but ran out of oxygen to do any more torching. The welding and gears should be done this week/weekend (if everything comes in). Then things to still do:
AAL in rear/U-bolt flip
Shock mounts
Install front driveshaft
Finish putting the front axle together
Route vent lines higher
Redo the exhaust

Last edited:

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow, thats lookin like a hoss now... especially with the boggers... how long till we get some wheeling and articualtion pics? :evillol:

im bout to start my sas on my 92 with a ford hp 44 aswell (doin research and gathering parts for now) so this build has been more than helpfull!