Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The two sets of shelves from Costco arrived, and it looks like they’ll be just right. They’re 4’ wide x 18” deep x 6’ tall; and have decent-size casters.

I put one set together, and will do the other when I get a chance. They seem pretty sturdy!

You must be registered for see images attach

Pardon the leaves that blew in. The bay doors should arrive in a couple of weeks, which will take care of that little problem.
Those are nice shelves; we have some in our "backstage" sample event company office. We stack all kinds of kitchen equipment and other heavy stuff on them; they're made of the wire "mesh" so the stuff can drip dry into the wash/rinse sinks.
And unfortunately I think they're right about the leaves. Every time I have the door up at my building, leaves blow in. Gravel gets in too, in my hiking boot soles.
When I'm sweeping the floor, I remember what my Dad used to say at our parts store,"that broom fits your hands too". He had worked for a guy whose kids always hung around, begging for $$ but not wanting to work for it. So he was determined that no one was seeing that with his kid....

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are nice shelves; we have some in our "backstage" sample event company office. We stack all kinds of kitchen equipment and other heavy stuff on them; they're made of the wire "mesh" so the stuff can drip dry into the wash/rinse sinks.
They’re heavier than expected, which is a good thing. They should work just fine for garage shelving.
And unfortunately I think they're right about the leaves. Every time I have the door up at my building, leaves blow in. Gravel gets in too, in my hiking boot soles.
With all the oak trees in the yard, leaves are going to be a fact of garage life here. It’s a small price to pay.
When I'm sweeping the floor, I remember what my Dad used to say at our parts store,"that broom fits your hands too". He had worked for a guy whose kids always hung around, begging for $$ but not wanting to work for it. So he was determined that no one was seeing that with his kid....
Your Dad was right; and you were lucky to have had that sort of guidance growing up. I believe that simple things like that can make a real difference in how we turn out as adults.

Fortunately, a broom fits my hands pretty well. I’ve had ample opportunities to learn and practice the fine art of floor sweeping. It’s a simple thing, but at times I find sweeping a smooth floor with a decent push broom quite enjoyable. Especially if I get to use floor sweep compound. In an outdoor education camp that I worked in, we staff called it ‘ant poop;’ a lot of the kids there believed us.

So I don’t mind sweeping, at all, as long as I have a decent broom to do it with. For me, a 3’ wide horsehair push broom, on a smooth floor, is the cat’s pajamas.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes ya gotta use a broom and sometimes ya don't...

Gotta say, these are pretty handy. They definitely lack the power of a good gas blower but it's nice to be able to just pick it up and go. They are expensive though.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another way to build a work table that can be rolled away for storage (woodworking tools needed).

For the table top, I took some 2X6s, ripped and planed them down for the rails. Then I took a dado blade to make recesses in them. Now I have a "disposable counter top make from 1/4" Masonite. If/when it gets damaged, I simply unscrew the top and replace. With the rabbits in the rails, the edges don't get frayed or pulled up.

On this table, I mounted some bench top tools so they're readily available for use. I hung a power strip on one of the legs, drilled holes behind the power tools for their plugs and hung them underneath with brass cup hooks. Used heavy duty casters I had laying around.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another way to build a work table that can be rolled away for storage (woodworking tools needed).

For the table top, I took some 2X6s, ripped and planed them down for the rails. Then I took a dado blade to make recesses in them. Now I have a "disposable counter top make from 1/4" Masonite. If/when it gets damaged, I simply unscrew the top and replace. With the rabbits in the rails, the edges don't get frayed or pulled up.
That's a good idea. Having a sacrificial top makes a lot of sense. I already have the woodworking tools to do that. It'll take some modification to the old kitchen table, which will be repurposed as a work table.
On this table, I mounted some bench top tools so they're readily available for use. I hung a power strip on one of the legs, drilled holes behind the power tools for their plugs and hung them underneath with brass cup hooks. Used heavy duty casters I had laying around.
I have a bench grinder that I was going to mount on a pedestal, but now am thinking of doing what you've done, and mounting it on the work table.
You also reminded me that I need to add a drill press in my list of tools to have. I've wanted one for some time, but had forgotten about it.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Someone has a collection of "shop notes" magazines squirreled away don't they!!! Lol