Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word to the wise @South VA if you go that route or similar (you probably already know) make sure you have secondary regulator to keep your pressure <100 PSI for your nail guns - they have a tendency to self destruct with higher pressures plus, you can't get an even nail set depth.
My compressor is a Rolair, purchased specifically powering for nailing guns. It’s worked for the 20+ years I’ve owned it, without a hitch. But as you and others have said, it would be trying to punch too far above its weight with air wrenches and such.
I have a used 5HP compressor that draws ~30 Amps with a 220 Volt service. It keeps up with my smallish die grinder and impact gun. For bigger stuff I use the hose reel and 1/2" hose.
You must be registered for see images attach

For remote nailing I have this little "pancake" compressor (lower arrow). The air tank (upper arrow) is plumbed to the big compressor, at the other end) for added capacity and friction loss in the lines.

Looks like a nice setup!

Once I find a larger compressor (preferably used) I’ll return the Rolair to wood shop duties, where it seems to be happy.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For reference, one of my shops is 1000 SF. I have 8 of the 8-foot fixtures, 8200 lumens each, spaced between bays and flush mounted on trusses 15 feet above the shop floor. Calculates out to 65.6 lumens per SF. White walls, white ceiling, and gray epoxy high-gloss floor. It is a LOT of light, but no where close to TOO MUCH light. There are times I still need mobile task lights.
My original thought was going with about 12 4’ fixtures for area lighting. Now it’s looking like that number will nearly double. Plus task lighting.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wear this thing whenever I'm in the garage, or at night.... it has become almost indispensable as a matter of fact. It's light weight enough to not pull the hat down, is super bright and holds charge for days.

and on that note... led rope lights are awfully handy for deep inside engine bays, etc... eliminates all shadows

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear this thing whenever I'm in the garage, or at night.... it has become almost indispensable as a matter of fact. It's light weight enough to not pull the hat down, is super bright and holds charge for days.

I use a headlamp a lot; much more so than a handheld flashlight. It works really well when I’m wearing a knit cap or no hat at all. But with a ballcap, the bill interferes with aiming the light where I want it, so I wind up turning the hat around or sideways, gangsta style, to be able to use the headlamp. And it never feels quite right.

This thing solves that problem - Thanks!!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and on that note... led rope lights are awfully handy for inside engine bays, etc
Don’t suppose you have a link?

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Warning... they are addictive. I've worn them long enough that I catch myself reaching for it instinctively even when I'm not wearing it (dark basement, back of a drawer, etc)

Started using them way back when for fishing

edit: also bright enough to catch critter eye reflections at a significant distance in the dark (coyotes, etc)

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW - you may want to locate your air compressor next to/near a roll-up door so you can fill a flat tire on the apron rather than having to move a vehicle or add 100' of hose to reach
I did put my air compressor in the back corner of my shop, but I plan on running an air line to the front of the shop. If you do that, be sure and angle your air line slightly downward so any air that condenses in the lines runs out. Also, put a water separator right off the air outlet on the air tank.

PSA, have y'all drained the water in your compressor lately? Do you know when your tank was last hydrostatic tested?

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought of your project the other day when I was at a garage and the old guy had several old grocery carts stacked together with several others scattered around in use. Seemed like a pretty handy item, with minimal storage since they nest. I'm on gravel, so I didn't do any "shopping" to see how available they are, or what they cost, but it has to be minimal. He cut the top off one of them to use as a welder cart also. Just another thought for the ol' popcorn popper.