Dealer life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first "dealer" experiance was at a Bayliner boat dealership.
I did what they called "pre sale inspection"
Thats where you repair the factory flaws before sale.
Basically "Dealer Prep"
On the service side we had nonstop pressure to "Up Service" a boat. In other words, find something wrong with it.
Easy to do on a Bayliner. They really are crap built boats.
My boss at the time was just an awesome person. He knew that this was ******** so he would drag out a service long enough to have us repair things like fuel leaks and the bilge blower wiring.
Shorts in the bilge.
Factory flaws that can kill people.
They fired him.
Just a bunch of plaid sportcoat ********** wearing boat shoes.
I didnt know much about the sales side.
Years later I took a job in sales at a Dodge dealership.
This was back in the 90s. Just as internet sails were just starting to happen and we had the "new" Dodge truck bodies and the intrepid and the caravan.
They sold like crazy and you could get a 10 grand gross profit off of a loaded truck or a grand caravan. At 20 percent commision, thats 2 in my pocket every time.
And I was pretty good at it. Because I really enjoy meeting new people and shooting the **** and finding out what goes on with them.
I am a bit on the socialable side.
All I had to do was ignore every moral and every belief that I ever had.
Heres the thing. Car salesman only hang out with other car salesmen.
And they only talk about sales.
And you, the customer are a roach or weak as circus lemonade or they blew your kneecaps off or tommorrows rollback or a cash cow or bum credit secondary finance or a hundred other little slang terms
Car salesmens wives only hang out with other car salesmens wives.
And this is because the rule, is to never ever talk out of school.
If someone overhears you talking **** about your customers at the bar or wherever?
That might impact future sales.
It is a closed world of scumbags who justify it all on theory that if they dont rip you off somebody else will.
And that is true.
The chain dealer I worked for spent millions on research.
They found that of the financially qualified people who walked onto a lot fully 92 percent of them would buy a car in the next 3 days.
This is why they dont leave you alone when you say you are just looking around.
********. Customers lie like dogs too.
We dont believe you.
And I may not be after the sale. I might be just after the test drive. Because if I get you to drive it, I get your drivers license.
And I go into the sales tower and log your name, adress, phone number etc..
Not just for marketing reasons.
I log that because if you leave and come back later and talk to a different salesman, I get half of his money just because I talked to you first and logged it in.
The "half deal"
On a 2 grand commision he can work all day and slam it shut and I get a thousand bucks just by not telling him that I have the half deal.
Because I talked to you first.
I was the king of the half deal.
Eventually, I couldnt sleep with it.
I realized that I was enjoying the scumbag part of it all.
Car sales was really, really,really fun.
I enjoyed it.
Ill not lie, it was a blast.
And sometimes, I actually miss it.
But I was still an Eagle Scout.
I became the very ********* that I despised.
And I will never buy another new car again.
I agree about the incestuous little circle of salespeople, it's amazing how much people change to fit in...not my type of people to hang out with.

I couldn't stomach being constantly pushed to take advantage of people by lazy stupid bosses who thought I didn't know that I was making them money for them as well. It wasn't for me.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even working at a dealer I never understand how recalls work. I just installed the parts to be honest and do updates on the computer.
I just put an article about the Toyota Camry (do you think gm would do a recall like that lol) recall from The Onion because The Onion is one of my favorite humorous fake news.
But I always wonder how the notifications work I thought the federal government has the database through the DMV or something.. But from what I heard you had to go to a dealer for service to get the notification or something which I say is horse hockey. Even though from what I heard you could go on the website for the national transportation safety administration to find out about recalls.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: Doh! I didn't realize this thread went to 5 pages already!

As a tech, you're paid by the flag hour. Flag hours are how long a job "should" take if everything goes right and you're a fully experienced technician. There are two books for calculating flag hours, one for "customer pay" and one for "warranty". Warranty work typically pays about half of customer work, and it's rare that even an experienced tech can beat warranty time. At the Nissan store I worked at, we never actually had a book for customer pay, it was just a reasonable guess that we negotiated with the customer. Some people would try and quote work times from the Motor manuals, but we told them we didn't honor the Motor manuals because the quoted time was too low, and it was almost always lower than even the warranty time.

^^^This and, the new warranty companies that call you every day to renew your "expired" warranty set a flat rate for the repair irregardless of what "book" rate is.
If it's not a warranty company that your dealership has a contract with, tell them to pound sand. If they don't have a contract with you, they have to negotiate, just like a customer. Tell the customer their warranty company is refusing to pay and that they'll have to either demand the warranty company pay the full price or they'll have to make up the difference. It completely sucks for the customer who was scammed by that company in the first place, but it's not up to you to pay for their mistake.

If your boss is only feeding you warranty work, walk. If your writer or dispatcher is taking kickbacks, walk. If they ever cheat you on your pay, walk. If you keep playing the cheaters' games, it will never get better. Most importantly, never believe that the way to succeed is to join in on the cheating.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree about the incestuous little circle of salespeople, it's amazing how much people change to fit in...not my type of people to hang out with.

I couldn't stomach being constantly pushed to take advantage of people by lazy stupid bosses who thought I didn't know that I was making them money for them as well. It wasn't for me.
Yep. What finally did it for me was when my sales manager told me that a friend of his that he had known since grade school was coming in.
He was the best man at this guys wedding.
I thought that he was asking me to go easy on this guy.
Nope. He said "Ive known this guy forever and he trusts me. Follow my leed and if we play it right we can make 10 grand off of this guy"
Geez
I was all done after that little eye opener.
The part that really cracked me up is that for some reason, after a couple of weeks of sales training.
They all start sounding like Joe Pesci.
One day they are telling you about growing up in Idaho.
Next thing you know its all...
"Hey Jimmy, Hey Bobby, Hey Joey!
Whats up wid youze guys?
You gonna sell some fugging cahs today or what?
Dude, youre from Boise

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I was a tech for Audi/VW/Porsche for 10yrs, my dealership was awesome, the owner was one of the nicest guys that I have ever worked for. He treated us all like family, if I had not injured my arm on the job I'd still be there. Granted, I love my current job, I don't quite make as much as I did as a tech(I pulled in 95k the year before I got injured). i make good money now but I always wish it were more lol.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I worked at Heuberger as a Valet for a year. I got to hear all of the horror stories from the techs, and a lot of that is echoed here. At the time, I was interested in becoming a mechanic, but quickly realized that wasn't for me. Off topic, but I got fired from Heuberger for putting my hands in my pockets while customers were talking to service writers. True story. I pivoted into elevator installation and repair, and did that for awhile before jumping ship.

I now own and operate an Amazon business and transportation company. My tools stay busy, but in a different way now.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can't stand dealers. Absolutely fvcking hate them. The salesmen just run and run and run their mouths like I don't know every word is a lie. And service writers who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, who haven't held a wrench since codes were pulled with a paper clip attempting to be articulate, or treating me like they know the problem better than I do. They can all go straight to Hell. I'd much rather talk directly to the tech to get a straight answer. Or just never have any interaction with them at all.