Dealer life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks similar to my set up. Except instead of a desktop computer I have a laptop. No fan but I do have a mini fridge on top of the tool box. My "workspace" is mobile. I drive to a certain refrigerated trailer back up to it and do what ever job I have to do pick up tools and what not and drive to the next. And yes I do work for a dealer just a different type of dealer then automotive

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks similar to my set up. Except instead of a desktop computer I have a laptop. No fan but I do have a mini fridge on top of the tool box. My "workspace" is mobile. I drive to a certain refrigerated trailer back up to it and do what ever job I have to do pick up tools and what not and drive to the next. And yes I do work for a dealer just a different type of dealer then automotive
The heavy duty side.
sigh Must be nice
No flat rate hourly pay.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sold at a GM dealer for a while, worked as a writer at the same dealer for an even shorter period, saw the writing on the wall and left 3 months before it went under.
Good thing you're able to read the writing on the walls.. With me I can't choose to ignore for a while and sit on my koolaide that is complimentary

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I left the dealerships and went to work doing fleet maintenance for the government. Better pay, less stress, and if you move from being a contractor to a civil service job, they even treat you like an asset. At the dealership I had to fight just to get the pay they owed me. Employers are whining that nobody wants to work any more? They will if you pay them. Nobody wants to work a full week and still feel like they're sinking.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sold at a GM dealer for a while, worked as a writer at the same dealer for an even shorter period, saw the writing on the wall and left 3 months before it went under.
I’m not in the business, but what’s a “writer”?

Are the dealership techs paid less for warranty versus non-warranty work? I’ve heard that they are but wasn’t sure how that worked. Wouldn’t they get a flat hourly part time rate or 40 hour/week salary plus time and a half?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’m not in the business, but what’s a “writer”?

Are the dealership techs paid less for warranty versus non-warranty work? I’ve heard that they are but wasn’t sure how that worked. Wouldn’t they get a flat hourly part time rate or 40 hour/week salary plus time and a half?
Service writer, AKA the person who writes up the tickets, invoices etc. on repairs. My cousins worked in dealer shops when they were fresh out of trade school, and told me that warranty work generally goes to the new guys, or the ones who are on the boss's bad list. And they have to take less $$ on those jobs too.