Custom made shop tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orpedcrow. Great stuff!!!
Thank you! Something about “necessity is an invitation to your moms house” or something? Just kidding lol. We are out in the country and don’t have “next day prime shipping” nor do we have an enormous budget to be buying a bunch of random specialty tool that will only get used a handful of times.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hole cleaners? Idk, one end gets chucked in the drill, the other gets a strip of scotch brite.
We used to call that an "Okie Hone" used with emery cloth.
Back during the dust bowl the term "Okie" was used by Californians to disrespect the people migrating west to escape the dust storms. I have heard a Californian use the term and I told him the etymology of the word, because it does mean something different in California than it does when I say I'm an Okie.

I make hones all the time. A big drill bit, some emory cloth, and some duct tape. Works great.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back during the dust bowl the term "Okie" was used by Californians to disrespect the people migrating west to escape the dust storms. I have heard a Californian use the term and I told him the etymology of the word, because it does mean something different in California than it does when I say I'm an Okie.

I make hones all the time. A big drill bit, some emory cloth, and some duct tape. Works great.
Thanks for sharing that.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is great, I’ll get some more pictures when I get to the shop. I’ve got a handful of things I’ve had to make. Here’s some head stands.
You must be registered for see images attach
I'm gonna build a set of these. BTW that rusty old GM V8 distributor, I rebuilt one of them, and put a pertronix electronic setup in it for a 350 I built and stuck in a 60 El Camino. I liked it much better than the "fat cap" HEI.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna build a set of these. BTW that rusty old GM V8 distributor, I rebuilt one of them, and put a pertronix electronic setup in it for a 350 I built and stuck in a 60 El Camino. I liked it much better than the "fat cap" HEI.
That’s awesome. We are putting a pertronix unit in this international. That Rusty distributor was seized solid, I boiled it for a day in my shop “kitchen” and everything broke free!

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw I purposefully didn’t weld the Xs were they touch so they have a sort of auto leveling thing going on. I don’t know if it works like that but that was my idea :hahano:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put an HEI 4 pin on a Mopar electronic distributor. Both the GM HEI and Mopar reluctors emit a square wave signal, so it works just fine. Mopar points, and electronic distributors use the same cap and rotor, so this works fine to hide it to appear stock. Just going to either ditch the ballast resistor, or hollow it out and put a jumper wire in it to complete the deception. Pertronix units work fine, you need to ditch the ballast wire or ballast resistor for them to work.

My buddy built a 68 chevelle with a 396 and put the ole fat cap HEI in it. Again not a big fan. I think those are the ugliest looking distributors ever made. They work great, but fit like crap. Anyhoo, the car would nose over at 4,500 rpm. I asked him if he removed the ballast wire under the dash going from the ignition switch to the coil. He said no. I told him to ditch it for a regular copper wire. Told him he wasnt getting a true 12V to the HEI. After that, this thing would pull hard to 6,500.

Heres pix of my GM HEI 4 pin Mopar electronic distributor. I made a homemade wire adaptor plug that plugs into the GM module, and Chrysler pickup. The other 2 pins go to an oil filled pertronix 50,000 volt oil filled ignition coil to complete the deception. The module mounting bracket I actually bought pre made off the interwebs. $25 it was not worth it to try to engineer anything similar.

Attachments

• downloadfile-10.jpg
    downloadfile-10.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12
  • 20150111_140121.jpeg
    20150111_140121.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 12
  • downloadfile-14.jpg
    downloadfile-14.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: