Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, it has finally happened. For months I have put the word out that I was interested in running a shop again.

Yesterday I got a call from a 3 bay shop that is in downtown Eugene, Or. that heard word of mouth that I wrench on the side and they want me to move my tools and turn wrenches in their shop. The kicker is this. It is a Monday thru Thursday set up that starts at 9 and goes till 3:30 but can work other days and longer hours if I have a job I want to finish. I also have the right to turn down any job I don't want to work on, for whatever reason. I would diagnose and sell my own work. Big drawback is two things. Moving my tools there and fear of a break in because the shop is right down in the homeless area of the city. The other is no tools at home to do what I want to do for my regular customers that I have built up here. Not gonna take this position. Did talk to the owner and he said that if I need a lift, I can rent shop space and lift in his shop, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That is interesting.

Several months ago I applied for a service writer job at a shop. Was told I was over qualified for the Assistant Service Writer position and we parted ways. They did hire a single mother of 3 that had been an insurance claims adjuster but did not work out because of needs for her kids. They called me yesterday and want to hire me. Starts at 7:45 am and open till 5:30. Is in a way better part of town and my tools stay home. At 71, not sure about the obligation of the hours. Plus, as an assistant, the pay is less. Figures out to be around $45k a year. Figures out to be just over $19 an hour or about $865 a week. I know my experience is worth way more and should be in the $60k a year range at least. I am going to have a meeting tomorrow at 4 pm and will approach this with a proposition of a minimum amount on a paycheck and the rest $.

I really like the clientele I have built up here and that I run the whole show and do what I want and turn down what I don't want.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
71 and still need to work?
Will that shop insure your tools at replacement value? Sounds like your home gig is the way to go since you already have your client base.
No, don't have to work at 71. I like doing the repairs and taking care of my friends and getting paid cash for what I want to do. I have my social security and retirement and savings. This is my mad money and doing what is fun to me. I loved running shops and I did it for close to 30 years. I was just surprised with two offers a day apart. A lift is hard to turn down.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's nice that your still grooving along at 71. Dad's 74 and still a trucker.
At your stage, you don't wanna HAVE to be at work for a set time, taking orders from some pi$$ant service writer who knows less than you have forgotten.
Sounds like you have a good set up already.
Do your own thing, at your own pace.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A two post lift would require the concrete that it is mounted in to, to be reinforced to allow the lift to be safe. A 4 post lift does not require that. I am working out of my driveway in a rental house. He lets me do my work and I have a 12x24 canopy for rain. I have thought about the two sides low lift jacks, that are portable. But I would still have to lay under there. That would save a lot of time setting jack stands though. There are ramps that you can drive up on and then each wheel can be jacked up for even more height.