Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don't have the right concrete support for a two post lift:

You must be registered for see images attach
All the reinforcement in the world wasn't gonna help that, there wasn't enough concrete there. Rebar helps, but whoever put that lift on a 2" thick slab should be fired. That's just dumb.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
All the reinforcement in the world wasn't gonna help that, there wasn't enough concrete there. Rebar helps, but whoever put that lift on a 2" thick slab should be fired. That's just dumb.
Sorry, it was implied that concrete support is rebar and that the concrete would be thicker as well. Yea, for all we know, that section of concrete could have been a former office floor and that was a part of the building that did not get as thick of concrete pour and not enough concrete rebar. They just knocked down some walls and added a lift. Whoever installed the lift should be shot and someone that was in charge, should have thought of what is needed for a lift. A 4 post would have been ok.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's nice that your still grooving along at 71. Dad's 74 and still a trucker.
At your stage, you don't wanna HAVE to be at work for a set time, taking orders from some pi$$ant service writer who knows less than you have forgotten.
Sounds like you have a good set up already.
Do your own thing, at your own pace.
About 2 hours ago got a call from the shop owner that was wanting me to be an assistant advisor. They still had an ad up at "indeed" and a girl applied that would take less money and had some experience and so she was hired and he told me that I did not need to show at 4 tomorrow for our hiring meeting. He is aware I am 71 and I am sure that plays in to it. Afterall, "how much longer would I continue to work", had to be on his mind. I am ok with it. He said he would call if anything changed.

The other shop still intrigues me. If he is willing to rent the shop out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday....would he allow use of his tools? That way I don't have to move my tools. I am going to ask him how that would work. Maybe rent tools at the same time as rent the shop?

Either way, I have an oil change to do Saturday on a 2013 Acura RDX. Good current customer's college daughter's vehicle. He wants it checked over and take care of anything needed that I find.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're only as old you feel. I'm not sure I could fully retire if my I was still on top of my game. There's definitely stuff I would turn down though.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I seem to recall that over a certain income social security is taxed pretty heavily. You might want to look into that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're only as old you feel. I'm not sure I could fully retire if my I was still on top of my game. There's definitely stuff I would turn down though.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I seem to recall that over a certain income social security is taxed pretty heavily. You might want to look into that.

Doesn't matter when you work for cash.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

I am 71 and do not feel it. I still get up and down just fine and am still strong and sharp. Am I as good as I was when I was 30 to 40, NO. But I also know how to work smarter. I can turn down engine swaps and transmission swaps and heater cores, if I want to. I still do things like timing belts and chains. I don't want stuff that ties up my driveway for more than 2 days. An older small block or big block head gasket job, no problem. The only thing that is keeping me out of that 4 day a week tech job is moving my tools. I know I could still turn wrenches all day or at least most of the day because I have done it at home on some bigger jobs and this shop is not where I would be flagging hours like crazy. BUT, if I could find an advisor/writer job and it was the right fit, I would take it.

At 71 I am what they call, Full Retirement Age. I can work all I want and I get my full social security, even if I made $100k. Anything that is on the books up to $14k, I don't have to report or file income taxes at end of year. Over that and up, that is on the books/paycheck, up to $22K, I would pay 15% income tax. Any over that and I would be obligated to 18% income tax. I have a tax guy in KC, Mo., that I went to high school with and has been doing my taxes for 45+ years.

The work as a tech in his shop guy, was willing to work with me.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am 71 and do not feel it. I still get up and down just fine and am still strong and sharp. Am I as good as I was when I was 30 to 40, NO. But I also know how to work smarter. I can turn down engine swaps and transmission swaps and heater cores, if I want to. I still do things like timing belts and chains. I don't want stuff that ties up my driveway for more than 2 days. An older small block or big block head gasket job, no problem. The only thing that is keeping me out of that 4 day a week tech job is moving my tools. I know I could still turn wrenches all day or at least most of the day because I have done it at home on some bigger jobs and this shop is not where I would be flagging hours like crazy. BUT, if I could find an advisor/writer job and it was the right fit, I would take it.

At 71 I am what they call, Full Retirement Age. I can work all I want and I get my full social security, even if I made $100k. Anything that is on the books up to $14k, I don't have to report or file income taxes at end of year. Over that and up, that is on the books/paycheck, up to $22K, I would pay 15% income tax. Any over that and I would be obligated to 18% income tax. I have a tax guy in KC, Mo., that I went to high school with and has been doing my taxes for 45+ years.

The work as a tech in his shop guy, was willing to work with me.
It's a real shame when people get overlooked due to their age. What they are also overlooking is the lifetime of experience those same people bring to your company, and being put in a situation where they can share that experience with other employees can be invaluable to an employer with the right attitude. I am 57 years young and now work for myself and it is my willingness to advise/consult with my customers on their difficult jobs that has kept me very busy since I started. You have a lot to offer and if others can't see that then just keep doing it for yourself.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's a real shame when people get overlooked due to their age. What they are also overlooking is the lifetime of experience those same people bring to your company, and being put in a situation where they can share that experience with other employees can be invaluable to an employer with the right attitude. I am 57 years young and now work for myself and it is my willingness to advise/consult with my customers on their difficult jobs that has kept me very busy since I started. You have a lot to offer and if others can't see that then just keep doing it for yourself.
I found that the best way to get and retain a customer, here at my house and when I was working in shops, is to educate them at the same time that I am telling them what is wrong and what it will take to fix the problem. When I am doing diagnostics and have found the problem, I encourage the customer to come see what I see and why something is bad and what it will take to fix the problem. When you talk to them instead of over their heads, they kind of get in to it and feel like they understand their vehicle that much better. I give them options and what I will stand behind and what I will not stand behind. I prefer OE parts and with my shop connections and supplier connections, I still get shop discounts and get my military discount at parts stores. I don't make money on parts. I charge for my labor, diagnostics and chasing parts.

I know I could help in shops but I also know that with my age, they will want someone that they think will be around for a while. It is what it is.