Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is the style he had being discussed on the Garage Journal site, so you might get some ideas on pros/cons from the thread. His was the "open deck" style of the two pictured. The electric over hydraulic unit that powers it has two wheels on it and you tilt it back with the handle, has a peg that hooks into the lowered lift so you can move it around on its built-in casters.

Richard
As I get deeper in this search for what I am going to do, I will pick just the right lift and coordinate with my landlord. Thanks for the link.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

My plan is to talk to him today, again. He said that when the shop is closed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, he rents the shop out and lifts can be used. If he does that, does every renter bring a box of tools? Since he knows my qualifications, he may be willing to let me use his tools on those 3 days. If I was to work there on the normal 4 days the shop is open, he would want me to have my tools there and that neighborhood is not where I would leave my tools. He is a nice enough guy, so I will ask about his tools. he may want to RENT them on those 3 days. depends on price. The 4 days work with only 6.5 hours and work flow control and selling my own work and taking days off when I want, would be ideal, in a different location.
If I'm reading this right, only leaving your tools on the premises is standing in the way. I don't know the extent of your tools, but is it possible that you take to the job only the tools needed for any particular job you have scheduled? Maybe dip into the shop owner's tools only if you've forgotten something of your own? Or, as you are considering, just rent everything from him you'll need.
To my mind - tools are portable. Lifts - not so much! Good luck with the talks.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I'm reading this right, only leaving your tools on the premises is standing in the way. I don't know the extent of your tools, but is it possible that you take to the job only the tools needed for any particular job you have scheduled? Maybe dip into the shop owner's tools only if you've forgotten something of your own? Or, as you are considering, just rent everything from him you'll need.
To my mind - tools are portable. Lifts - not so much! Good luck with the talks.
In the GARAGE section of the forums, there are pics of my tool box and tools, that I have at my house:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/just-got-a-bigger-box-for-my-tools.64904/

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My girl likes to see me happy and she is always willing to help in the shop. She grew up always helping her dad in his home shop. She was a TomBoy. That is why, in another thread, I am doing some work on her truck in my membership pic. Took the headliner out yesterday and getting it recovered and the visors too. Replaced a dash panel that was crap. All new headlights, front turn signal lights, rear turn signal lights and putting in new transmission cooling lines. Then, when I can find a new replacement, I am going to install a working OE dash radio and cassette player/equalizer. She deserves it.

At our age, time is the most precious/finite asset we have.

And you know that old saw about how there's lots of fish in the ocean to choose from?
Well, from your description of that lady this is not applicable to your situation, for you
have located a rare Unicorn, motorhead edition.

I don't know how much or how little you want to work in any given week. But my
take on all this is to choose whichever situation allows you to bring the *least*
amount of stress home to share with your gal. Given the choice of working with
a lass like that vs access to a nice lift?

Pass me the cardboard...and where did I put that 3-ton hydraulic jack & the safety stands?

:)

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 71 I am what they call, Full Retirement Age. I can work all I want and I get my full social security, even if I made $100k. Anything that is on the books up to $14k, I don't have to report or file income taxes at end of year. Over that and up, that is on the books/paycheck, up to $22K, I would pay 15% income tax. Any over that and I would be obligated to 18% income tax. I have a tax guy in KC, Mo., that I went to high school with and has been doing my taxes for 45+ years.

Right, your monthly benefit does not change, you just pay tax on it. I'm not getting SS yet, but I don't think they withhold taxes so you may want to withhold more at your job to avoid having to pay or get penalized at the end of the year. Definitely consult the tax guy.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At our age, time is the most precious/finite asset we have.

And you know that old saw about how there's lots of fish in the ocean to choose from?
Well, from your description of that lady this is not applicable to your situation, for you
have located a rare Unicorn.

I don't know how much or how little you want to work in any given week. But my
take on all this is to choose whichever situation allows you to bring the *least*
amount of stress home to share with your gal. Given the choice of working with
a lass like that vs access to a nice lift?

Pass me the cardboard...and where did I put that 3-ton hydraulic jack & the safety stands?

:)
No cardboard. In the pics, there are stacked rolls of what I lay on. They are 3/8" thick, 4' x 8' pads with diamond plate pattern on top to lay on. They are like a yoga pad. I roll them out and stack them and is comfortable under there. You can set stands on them and use floor jack on them, with no problems.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No cardboard. In the pics, there are stacked rolls of what I lay on. They are 3/8" thick, 4' x 8' pads with diamond plate pattern on top to lay on. They are like a yoga pad. I roll them out and stack them and is comfortable under there. You can set stands on them and use floor jack on them, with no problems.

Apologies for the confusion caused by my semi-obscure reference.

A gentleman in this forum (callsign @Komet) has an amazing thread
where he fit 10-lbs of project into a 5-lb gravel driveway workspace.
Mad skills, never say die attitude, and undid a FUBAR'd brand-X diesel
swap, and subsequently upgraded his GMT400 with a tasteful TPI small block.

If this piques your interest, here's a link to his over the top resto thread.
(Komet's caper) BTW, I thought I was the only one to ever be sad over losing
a large piece of cardboard due to an old stanky fuel leak... :)

Now to win the lottery, so that I can demonstrate my good taste in a
no-compromise lift. Until then, though, cardboard will remain my
guilt-free go to.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don't have the right concrete support for a two post lift:

You must be registered for see images attach
I do not know what to say about the lift its install installer or the building or who ever built the building but I do have a question about the truck is that what they mean when they say built ford tough?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Apologies for the confusion caused by my semi-obscure reference.

A gentleman in this forum (callsign @Komet) has an amazing thread
where he fit 10-lbs of project into a 5-lb gravel driveway workspace.
Mad skills, never say die attitude, and undid a FUBAR'd brand-X diesel
swap, and subsequently upgraded his GMT400 with a tasteful TPI small block.

If this piques your interest, here's a link to his over the top resto thread.
(Komet's caper) BTW, I thought I was the only one to ever be sad over losing
a large piece of cardboard due to an old stanky fuel leak... :)

Now to win the lottery, so that I can demonstrate my good taste in a
no-compromise lift. Until then, though, cardboard will remain my
guilt-free go to.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

These mats come in different sizes and different prices. I stack 'em and is very comfortable to lay on. I roll them up and stack on my tool box top at the back. Here in the PNW, there is a company called Bi Mart that I get them at. These in the link are from Amazon. They do work great. They clean up easily from oil and coolant and fuel and grease.

You must be registered for see images attach