Crate motor help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
I have a 95 k1500 with nv4500 that has an old 350 tbi in it that had been rode like hell and is about 140 psi on all Pistons and is burning a lot of oil out of cylinder number 4, so I'm planning on buying this crate motor from summit racing

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fme-350g8795

And installing it in a month or so. My question had to do with engine balance. In the motor specs it says its external/ internal. And aren't all tbi sbc's externally balanced??
Do I need to buy a neutral fly wheel and harmonic balancer to put on the crate motor or can I get away with re using my old harmonic balancer and fly wheel?
Any help would be appreciated and I'm sure I sound like a newby but I'm trying to get everything lined up to order for the swap

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I don't claim to know everything, or every engine supplier out there, first and foremost. However, I have never heard of this company before. The price seems low. Are you concerned about warranty? Have you read all the fine print?

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
I wasn't to concerned about warranty, does the first mate brand have some bad rep that I haven't heard yet??

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
140psi on compression tests isn't that bad, as long as they are all +/- 10psi between each other. burning oil could just be valve stem seals....

Just something to think about instead of replacing the whole engine.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
From everything I've read is they've mainly made marine motors. And have offered truck motors on the side. But reviews are good as far as I can tell, but I don't think any warranty is offered other the. Summits return policy. And I still don't know about the balancing question of it, this is another motor I found, that offers a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty of the eBays http://m.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-350-ENGINE-290HP-330FTLBS-TBI-1987-95-HD-/182077162999?nav=SEARCH

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
140psi on compression tests isn't that bad, as long as they are all +/- 10psi between each other. burning oil could just be valve stem seals....

Just something to think about instead of replacing the whole engine.
Sorry I forgot to mention I already replaced the valve seals. And I have all the signs of blow by and cylinder number 4 failed a leak down test

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I wasn't to concerned about warranty, does the first mate brand have some bad rep that I haven't heard yet??

I know nothing of their reputation. The price is very low. Sometimes there are reasons for such things that aren't beneficial to the end user. Also think of the old adage about what looks too good to be true, or the other one about fast, cheap, and reliable. I'd just hate to see someone get dorked over. Summit usually stands behind the products they sell, so maybe you'd have recourse.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
Yea I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I order a motor, I really like summit and they have a really good return policy and money back Garuntee that's why I was leaning towards that motor rather then the EBay one.