Early 80s 355 or 383 T.B.I crate engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
If you want a 383 crate motor, you'll be stuck with a Vortec style short block. If you wanna stroke a TBI 350, that's a different story. They sell stroker kits for them including crank, pistons, rings, bearings, etc. I'm sure you know that. Then get a set of aluminum TBI heads to stick on top. What's your budget will probably be the deciding factor. If you don't have a competent machine shop nearby, go with GM Performance or Blue Print, don't trust those Auto Parts store junk built by ATK etc. You may have issues mounting TBI heads on top of a Vortec block but, you can easily overcome that.

Taking a phrase from @Schurkey - "when it was me" I went Blue Print :biggrin:

Then, tune it!
Is there anything wrong with running a vortec style short block?

Reaction score
Yeah, FWIU cast iron with 200 cc runners. Besides not being drilled for TBI intake the runners won't help with low end torque. I'd save them for another build later.
I've seen quite a few options on how to make a TBI intake work on pre tbi heads. How much is it going to hurt the low end torque?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with running a vortec style short block?
No, you just have to do something about the water pump bypass. The Vortec block doesn't have the port for a TBI water pump. If you don't you'll have overheating issues in the heads until the T-Stat opens on warm up.

I've seen quite a few options on how to make a TBI intake work on pre tbi heads.
Yeah, such as drilling out the 70° bolt holes and installing offset bushings etc.

How much is it going to hurt the low end torque?
The bigger the intake runner, the more volume it needs to achieve good, smooth flow. A 350 won't flow enough until it gets up higher in the RPM range thus killing low end torque. On a 383, it's better but, even Blue Print Engines use "Fast Burn" style 195 runners for their long blocks and dyno ratings.

Last edited: