Cracked manifold. Go shorties or afterburner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the flowtech ceramic shorties with matching y pipe. They were $290 total shipped from Holleys eBay store. I’ll try and do a before and after sound clip for anyone that may be interested. I’ll also post up how smoothly( or not) they bolt up. Also on that eBay store they currently have the painted shorties for $99 and the painted afterburner mid length for $150. The y pipe for the afterburners is $190.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a flat crank V8 the difference single and dual is much smaller. But when you have 2 cylinders firing consecutively on each bank a single (Made properly!) will win every time. I have duals with an "X" pipe on my Firebird because a single 4" just wouldn't fit!
I have tried it both ways myself on several different vehicles. Dual with a X-pipe outperforms a single. Even my little 215 cubic inch V6 felt like I added a shot of nitrous ditching the 2.25" to 3" Y-pipe for a 2.5" dual system with a X-pipe. I had a similar exhaust system on my factory 420 hp rated 5.6L V8. Went to 2.5" duals with a X-pipe and that engine responded with 30 hp more at the wheels peak to peak and more than 50 hp at 7,000 rpm redline.

TxTrucksDerek

Reaction score
So i found I have a cracked exhaust manifold. I can go flow tech shorties(1 5/8 primaries) with y pipe for $200 or flow tech afterburner with y pipe for $350. Either option will connect to my current 3in pipe into a borla. I’m not running a cat, mine was rattling terribly when I bought the truck. I know long tubes are the preferred performance option but running duals and adding another muffler are not in the cards at the moment. Are the afterburner mid length worth the extra money?
We found some mid-length 1 3/4 headers from hedman at summit for about 300. They came with 2.5" reducers per side and fit without having to rearrange anything too much. If you or someone you know has a welder and some time you may check them out. They were a pretty tight squeeze but they DO fit. If you'd like I'd be happy to run out to the truck and get some pics of how they look and where the tight spots are. I wouldn't bother with the shorties unless you're just trying to spruce up the engine bay a little

Last edited:

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Thanks for that but I already ordered the shorties they actually were delivered Friday. The only reason I’m am doing the swap is because one of my stock manifolds is cracked. So might as well get rid of the stock y pipe as well. I found the flowtech shorties for $99 and matching y pipe for $90 on holleys eBay store. I went ahead and got the ceramic coated ones for a extra $100. I’ll prob try and put them in next weekend. I’ve got a couple welders so mating the y pipe to my current exhaust won’t be a problem.

TxTrucksDerek

Reaction score
I have tried it both ways myself on several different vehicles. Dual with a X-pipe outperforms a single. Even my little 215 cubic inch V6 felt like I added a shot of nitrous ditching the 2.25" to 3" Y-pipe for a 2.5" dual system with a X-pipe. I had a similar exhaust system on my factory 420 hp rated 5.6L V8. Went to 2.5" duals with a X-pipe and that engine responded with 30 hp more at the wheels peak to peak and more than 50 hp at 7,000 rpm redline.
That's exactly what we've got right now for exhaust. With an Edelbrock top end kit and Holley efi/ignition and side exhaust it's got a crispy rasping lope somewhere between a modern Corvette and old school muscle. It's ashame it's not mine haha

TxTrucksDerek

Reaction score
Thanks for that but I already ordered the shorties they actually were delivered Friday. The only reason I’m am doing the swap is because one of my stock manifolds is cracked. So might as well get rid of the stock y pipe as well. I found the flowtech shorties for $99 and matching y pipe for $90 on holleys eBay store. I went ahead and got the ceramic coated ones for a extra $100. I’ll prob try and put them in next weekend. I’ve got a couple welders so mating the y pipe to my current exhaust won’t be a problem.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Yeah I had a set of ceramic pacesetter Lts on my 2003 Silverado ss. My brother has the truck now and they still look good after about 12 years. Just showing a little rust down at the collector.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I had a set of ceramic pacesetter Lts on my 2003 Silverado ss. My brother has the truck now and they still look good after about 12 years. Just showing a little rust down at the collector.

Despite the amount of heat they have seen the coating on my Thorleys on the Express van has held up reasonably well.

You must be registered for see images attach