Cracked manifold. Go shorties or afterburner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
So i found I have a cracked exhaust manifold. I can go flow tech shorties(1 5/8 primaries) with y pipe for $200 or flow tech afterburner with y pipe for $350. Either option will connect to my current 3in pipe into a borla. I’m not running a cat, mine was rattling terribly when I bought the truck. I know long tubes are the preferred performance option but running duals and adding another muffler are not in the cards at the moment. Are the afterburner mid length worth the extra money?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I recommend the shorties. What year is the truck? Use the extra money to buy a high flow cat. Get a good cat back system. True duals is not the best exhaust type. A correctly built single (no matter how many tailpipes) will out run it every time. 88-95 SUM-G9014 (no A.I.R.), SUM-G9015 (With A.I.R.) 96-00 SUM-G9016 shorties work well for a good price.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So i found I have a cracked exhaust manifold. I can go flow tech shorties(1 5/8 primaries) with y pipe for $200 or flow tech afterburner with y pipe for $350. Either option will connect to my current 3in pipe into a borla. I’m not running a cat, mine was rattling terribly when I bought the truck. I know long tubes are the preferred performance option but running duals and adding another muffler are not in the cards at the moment. Are the afterburner mid length worth the extra money?

Either one will wake it up especially with a mid pipe.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Truck is a 94. Currently has cracked stock manifold to stock y with cat removed(the original was rattling) then 3in pipe into a borla. Just found ceramic coated flowtech shorties on holleys eBay for $199 matching y pipe for $90. I’m going to order those and give them a try.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...True duals is not the best exhaust type. A correctly built single (no matter how many tailpipes) will out run it every time...
Based off of what I saw on an episode of Engine Masters, I have to disagree. Even with 3" or whatever it was single exhaust, the 2.5" or 2.25" dual outperformed the single. Muffler choice made a pretty good impact on power too, more than I thought it would be worth.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Engine Masters episode, the single exhaust outperformed a dual exhaust with no crossover. They didn't test with a crossover, but the performance was close enough that I think duals with a crossover would win. The single 3" exhaust performed far better than I would have imagined, though.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
In the Engine Masters episode, the single exhaust outperformed a dual exhaust with no crossover. They didn't test with a crossover, but the performance was close enough that I think duals with a crossover would win. The single 3" exhaust performed far better than I would have imagined, though.
If you have a flat crank V8 the difference single and dual is much smaller. But when you have 2 cylinders firing consecutively on each bank a single (Made properly!) will win every time. I have duals with an "X" pipe on my Firebird because a single 4" just wouldn't fit!