Couple battery questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I got a couple questions on batteries. 1997 K1500 5.0 Vortec
1. Im having a weird issue, headlights on, blinker on, if i step on the brakes all the lights in my truck cut out for a split second (super quick flash), no drop on voltage gauge. Could this be a loose connection on my battery?

2. In regards to the loose connection, am I able to re-thread my battery terminals? I used a stupid side post extender so I could add some AUX stuff and i managed to strip the threads on my positive terminal so I cant fully tighten my positive battery cable.

3. Should I run dual batteries or run a single yellow top deep cycle? Either way I go about it, something needs to be done about the stripped thread battery. So would it be better to just add a second battery (top post, maybe $200) and find a way to make a secure connection to my stripped one and have two regular batteries, or buy a new yellow top? ($350)

Thanks for any input!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trust me, stay away from Optima. (Especially for $350, that's way high) They've gone downhill since they sold to Johnson Controls and are now made in Mexico. Just posted about this in another thread recently. I killed a recent yellow top in less than 6 months and it was maintained meticulously. If you want the best of the best, get an Odyssey. They're a little more expensive than the Optimas but they're made in the USA by Enersys and have a four year no questions asked free replacement warranty. Just look at the specs, you won't find anything better. I run the 34-78-PC1500DT-A dual terminal model in both of my trucks and they're amazing.

Personally I like single battery setups, less to go wrong. I run a lot of electronics in my truck, including a 1200W stereo and I've never seen the need for duals. Might be beneficial with an isolator so that if one goes dead you can switch to the other and start the truck, but I don't really live in a climate where I worry about not being able to find a jump start. If you need more amperage output in bursts you'd be a lot better off upgrading your alternator.

In regards to your lighting issue, I'd be leaning more towards a bad ground somewhere. Just what it sound like to me. However if you have loose connections you need to do something about that regardless, could be related. I have no idea about re-threading battery side terminals, but my gut instinct tells me it's probably not a good idea. If I were you I'd probably call it a loss but someone else may have an idea.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check the grounds on the tail lights. Ive heard those have issues. Are Optimas really that bad now? I was also way over on price, its like $225. O'reilly also has a three year warranty on it. I just would hate to throw an almost brand new battery away, hence the dual battery question. I have a 600 watt amp and 35 watt HIDs so nothing crazy. I did upgrade to the 140 amp alt.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are Optimas really that bad now?

In my experience, yes. In all fairness I bought my Optima that died from an online distributor, but when I emailed Optima about their warranty they wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops just to prove that I had an authentic battery. I could have gotten it replaced I'm sure, but I googled around a little and saw that a lot of people had been having similar issues. Like I said they sold their name and are now no longer made in the USA, that probably has something to do with it. I decided to just replace it with an Odyssey and I'm very happy with my choice.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I did some searching on the web and sears offers a Die Hard platinum that is basically a re-badged odyssey for $250. Only downside is it isnt a deep cycle. But I guess i dont really need deep cycle for an LED light bar

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh they're deep cycle, don't worry. They just don't say it on the label. Yeah last I checked those Die Hard Platinums were re-badged Odysseys, I just recommend the Odysseys directly because I know for sure where they come from. Sears/Die Hard could change their supplier contract at any time. Looks like they're still the same, though.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my experience, yes. In all fairness I bought my Optima that died from an online distributor, but when I emailed Optima about their warranty they wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops just to prove that I had an authentic battery. I could have gotten it replaced I'm sure, but I googled around a little and saw that a lot of people had been having similar issues. Like I said they sold their name and are now no longer made in the USA, that probably has something to do with it. I decided to just replace it with an Odyssey and I'm very happy with my choice.
I used to stock optima batteries and before that sold them at a local auto parts store .. The truth is when they first came on the market they was some awsome batteries . But in the past years they are kind of a joke . had several returned bad off the shelf or junk after 3 to 5 months

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then it looks like a sears Die hard it is! If I like it, ill upgrade to an odyssey when that dies. I just really like the aspect of a brick and mortar store and there is a Sears near me

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well then it looks like a sears Die hard it is! If I like it, ill upgrade to an odyssey when that dies. I just really like the aspect of a brick and mortar store and there is a Sears near me

Oh I get that 100%. Part of the reason I got the Odysseys. I have a dealer for them right across town from me. Didn't want to deal with an online warranty issue ever again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969