Battery Positive cable heating up and burning positive wire 1989 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teriria

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I've been wracking my brain trying figure out why when the battery is connected these the positive battery cable gets hot as hell and immediately spark when I try and connect it to a battery. This is my first time working on any car so I don't know a lot as this was a given to me.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Dead short in the main power wires... Check the positive wires going to the fuse block and the starter for missing insulation and burn spots. I'm guessing it's gonna be the starter wire personally. COULD be the result of a bad starter itself too, just throwing that out there. Everything else is fused except those two main lines tho.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's gonna be the starter wire personally. COULD be the result of a bad starter itself too, just throwing that out there. Everything else is fused except those two main lines tho.
IIRC the hot wire going to the power distribution block has a fusible link just below it.