Classic question, 383 or 355 or 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i understand that but don’t want to go all out, still in high school btw
Like anything else the issue will be if the rest of the drivetrain can take the additional power either of those engines will put out. Can the trans and rear axle take it or do they also need to be rebuilt?
Hole long do you realistically plan on keeping the truck? Doesn’t make sense to dump 4k in a truck you’re gonna sell in 2-3 years.
What are your finances? Are you buying this engine on credit? What’s your pay off and the cost at the end. If it’s costing yiu 4k but by the time you’re done “buying” it it’s 6k you have a 6k engine.
If it’s a daily driver I would get a basic stock crate engine and leave it alone. If yiu have a good engine shop it may be cheaper to pull your engine and have them freshen it up. Cost will vary but this is usually your cheapest option or a basic crate engine

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like anything else the issue will be if the rest of the drivetrain can take the additional power either of those engines will put out. Can the trans and rear axle take it or do they also need to be rebuilt?
Hole long do you realistically plan on keeping the truck? Doesn’t make sense to dump 4k in a truck you’re gonna sell in 2-3 years.
What are your finances? Are you buying this engine on credit? What’s your pay off and the cost at the end. If it’s costing yiu 4k but by the time you’re done “buying” it it’s 6k you have a 6k engine.
If it’s a daily driver I would get a basic stock crate engine and leave it alone. If yiu have a good engine shop it may be cheaper to pull your engine and have them freshen it up. Cost will vary but this is usually your cheapest option or a basic crate e
If it’s a daily driver I would get a basic stock crate engine and leave it alone. If yiu have a good engine shop it may be cheaper to pull your engine and have them freshen it up. Cost will vary but this is usually your cheapest option or a basic crate engine
since it’s my first truck won’t get rid of it, it has built rear end and the tranny is also built, plan on buying it whole, but going see what my machine shop can do first

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
since it’s my first truck won’t get rid of it, it has built rear end and the tranny is also built, plan on buying it whole, but going see what my machine shop can do first

You can usually build it cheaper or got the same price as a rebuilt crate motor get better parts and still build yourself. 4k buys a lot of parts and machine work with money left over.