Can I efficiently rebuild an internal combustion engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
But what are you going to use it on? That's the real question. But I will say go with the one that's most complete and known to be good, as your "first rodeo."

No clue what it's going into. Stock parts in bottom end minus the cam it came with. Came with the 350 heads but may put vortecs with the steam holes in it. Then sell? Buy something to put it in then sell? I have no clue. This is just so I can learn a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 400 4-boltblocks are considered weaker than the 2-bolt blocks, due to the extra holes in what is rather skimpy main webbing.

The first few years production ('70 to mid-year...'73, maybe) had 4-bolt mains and three core holes on each side of the block. The 2-bolt blocks showed up about the same time they deleted the extra core-hole on each side.

There's some other differences, but any 400 with decent cylinder walls is a keeper...if it's not cracked somewhere.
Since you know a bit more than I do about 400 small blocks, I have a question. When did they start making them? I have one in my garage that has what appears to be a cartridge type oil filter (with the can with the bolt thru it) instead of the spin on style. My understanding was that Chevy went to spin on filters in the mid 60s if not earlier? I know it's a 400 because it has the 3 freeze/core plugs. The engine is technically my cousin's, but he hasn't expressed any interest in it in years. Thanks in advance!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No clue what it's going into. Stock parts in bottom end minus the cam it came with. Came with the 350 heads but may put vortecs with the steam holes in it. Then sell? Buy something to put it in then sell? I have no clue. This is just so I can learn a bit.

Well, if you taking anything to the machine shop to sell the engine later, then probably going to spend more money than what the engine is going get sold for. Maybe you don't need machining? I have no idea!

I mean, in my area 5.7 vortec engines are worth and sold for $350-$500. These are running engines from old 2500/3500 long bed truck people don't want anymore, or 1500 trucks with a blown tranny.

Any kind of machine shop rates are like $30-$60 an hour, so it quickly adds to the tab.

Just something to keep in mind. Maybe it's different in your area? Don't know...

Good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did they start making them? I have one in my garage that has what appears to be a cartridge type oil filter (with the can with the bolt thru it) instead of the spin on style. My understanding was that Chevy went to spin on filters in the mid 60s if not earlier? I know it's a 400 because it has the 3 freeze/core plugs. The engine is technically my cousin's, but he hasn't expressed any interest in it in years. Thanks in advance!
First year of the small-block 400 was 1970. Spin-on filters were done in '68, I think.

If that block has a cartridge filter, either it's not a 400, or someone stuffed a cartridge filter canister under it for giggles. I don't think the canister filter housing actually fits a spin-on block, but I've never tried to make that work. Used to be that they sold an aluminum aftermarket adapter to put the spin-on filter onto canister-filter blocks.

Any kind of machine shop rates are like $30-$60 an hour, so it quickly adds to the tab.
Double that.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
First year of the small-block 400 was 1970. Spin-on filters were done in '68, I think.

If that block has a cartridge filter, either it's not a 400, or someone stuffed a cartridge filter canister under it for giggles. I don't think the canister filter housing actually fits a spin-on block, but I've never tried to make that work. Used to be that they sold an aluminum aftermarket adapter to put the spin-on filter onto canister-filter blocks.

Double that.
OK cool thanks, I'll have to look at it closer. But I know I saw 3 freeze plugs on the side of the block. It's covered up with stuff, so it's not so obvious. I've had people get into the building before that stole stuff. I don't know any history on it,other than I think he got it in a trade.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
400s are awesome engines. I had one that prolly had over 200k on it and would still smolder the tires. Really need to be careful going over .030 over. I had one that was .040 over and would run warm. Had a new radiator, hoses and water pump. Would slowly creep over 200. I have one now that's ready to be put together. Not going crazy, only special part is 5.7" rods and matching pistons. But will be a stock cast crank, hyper pistons, fuller roller and a good set of Vortecs. I have an article from "how to build big inch small blocks" where they did a very mild build, made 427 horse and 525lb/ft of torque. With a flat tappet cam.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Well, I'm changing what 400 I'm building. I sold the vortec 350 to a friend, and went and bought a Pontiac 400, so that's what I'm focusing on. I know it's a low compression 1968 model. So that will be dealt with. Also, being a big Pontiac guy, this will be good. I did wash all the SBC 400 also, so that will go into the basement for future build. I will pull numbers from the Pontiac motor tmrw