Can I efficiently rebuild an internal combustion engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We had an early 80s fwd Caddy 2 door with that motor. Absolute gutless wonder, but the car rode like a dream and had auto dimming headlights that worked pretty damn good. Only thing that faked them out was hanging lights over intersections in the middle of nowhere.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
A lot of people just disabled the switch for the 8-6-4, and it just behaved like a 368 and was a good engine. The HT4100 was a disaster. Half the displacement of a 500 in only 4 years. The floating wet liners and aluminum block, iron head design are just a bad idea. They also carried on the 500's tradition of half baked valvetrain design.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of people just disabled the switch for the 8-6-4, and it just behaved like a 368 and was a good engine. The HT4100 was a disaster. Half the displacement of a 500 in only 4 years. The floating wet liners and aluminum block, iron head design are just a bad idea. They also carried on the 500's tradition of half baked valvetrain design.

Valvetrain was a moot point, those 4100s were TURDS. Didn't make enough power to hurt a fly.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
So since this got a bit off track, I'm here to put it back on track. Was it being 95° outside, and the metal roof down on my garage My attention is back to the 400. Last night I got the can bearings knocked out using a friend's Lyle 18,000 cam bearing tool which were slick as far as I know the cam bearings are original as I don't see any aftermarket stamping on the outside indicating manufacturer or a date like the crank and rod bearings did All of them have a minor scratch on them which you can catch as a fingernail and the second can bearing in which there is a photo of you can see it has a very hardware on the end from being riding down low so I can assume that the cam that came in the motor is junk which I wasn't going to plan on running that anyway. I just got to get my proper plug socket to remove what I'm assuming is a oil galley plug in the back by the distributor bore and next to the cam and bearing then I need the go get the motor cleaned for this initial wash might just do that outside with some soapy water and then spray it down with WD-40, or I'll take it my buddies work and he's got actual jet washer. Then I need to work on getting the broken timing cover bolt out of the front which it's just past flush enough, I'll need to weld a nut on it or if I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll try to drill and extract it with a little bit of heat, but I'm hesitant on doing that because the casting that bolt goes into goes right in the cooling passage in the front of the motor and I don't want to get the drill bit sideways. Then it's game of cleaning up all the casting flash in the lifter valley and on the outside of the block a dingle ball hone, and more than likely I'll be running ARP studs in it so I'm going to have to get those ordered and the block line honed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk