Cam recommendations for a 305 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if youd like to save some money craigslists at least in my area is a great source for standard sbc intake, 416 heads are a very nice choice, slightl bump in compression like scotty said i know him and i have had a few talks about 416s, a nice set of springs and such as well as a quicky polish job will do wonders, ive been liking alot of ls2/6 springs in not huge cam lift stuff.

if your block is roller equipped you could run a roller setup with an lt1 cam also very cheap and common to come by, otherwise melling mtc1, or summit 421/444 camshaft, both can be had for about 60 bucks minus lifters, summit usually has their cams for 99 bucks cam and lifter sets, ebay has surprisingly decent stainless headers, ive heard many good things, custom tune is the way to go, catch up with eagle mark on gearhead efi or someone local who can datalog your setup. tbi to carb adapter yes, found cheap on ebay or made as well, ultimate tbi mods are a good idea on any tbi motor as well.

as im not fond of 305s in trucks well it is yours and im not gonna ***** but they are fun motors, ive had a few of them some turned into stroker 334s others just bored out bumped up and put a little pep in their step.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
CRANE used to make a grind called the "compu-cam 2030". I embarrassed MANY people running that stick in my Monte's original h.o.305...don't sell it short so quick!
Look for gm tune port heads (58cc) and the specs of the compucam 2030. That's a wise direction.
Send a message if you want, I can easily provide a VERY QUICK 305 recipe in detail, from my experience, out of a 1987 L69 stock bottom block with a q jet topper.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id upgrade springs and such but yes it will, 416s which are what rusty was referring to will be an improvement over stock, im a fan of 416s and some machine work though, that or just run all ls1 valves springs and rockers and you have a badass head but usually thats out of budget. id pick up a quick grinder set and give them a quick polish nothing fancy before reinstalling everything.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I go with the 416 heads, will I have to use pre ' 87 headers and intake manifold? Will headers for the older truck fit on gmt400s?

Thanks for all the help guys.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yes and no, the bolt pattern never changed some claim older headers will fit others say they wont, ive had it happen where once truck older headers fit the other truck the older headers wouldnt at all, so it depends, on what? who knows really. stick o the 400 headers, ebay stainless ones are dirt cheap, yes to older intake as well, just a standard carb manifold not vortec or tbi converted, get one off craigslist for cheap, look for something edeljunk or wieind or what not you can get them for 40 bucks if that off craigslist all day long nothing a bit o elbow grease cant fix. i never quite looked into it but same theory applys with exhaust and intake, 083's are a 350 head similar to the 113 but steel, a nice port and polish job and they will give you alot more flow, slightly bigger valves, not entirely necesaryy with a 305 but nonetheless, i dont however recall what that will bring your compression to.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
that put a 350 compression through the roof good heads for a small discplacemtn v8 not a bigger one, vortecs are the best gm factory made head, if you want aftermarket go promaxxx, trick flow, world, dart, etc, usually you can get old world or dart heads for fairly cheap on craigslist.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully not going to derail your thread with a "discussion" to what I say about this...lol. sorry if one gets going....305vs 350 debate is never ending it seems......lol

Fair warning..you will not get much out of a 305 with all the stuff you want to do to it compared to a stock 350 or even better a 350 with the same stuff you wanna do to your 305. Yes personal experience talking here... you can get,if patient, find 5.7 chevy small blocks on craigs list for the same price if not less then what you got your 305 for or could get a short block from a u pull it yard.. and it will already have more power and torque then the 305 with the stuff you want to add to it.. and you can get a good bearing and ring kit for a small block chevy for about 150 ish depending on where you look could be a bunch less...to just freshing it up for piece of mind..

The one good thing is that anything you put on the 305 can go on/into a 350 at a later date if you so choose.. even the cam depending on what grind you get compared to what power band you build each one at..

My disclaimer..... I have built both in my many years working and wrenching... they both have there place but never saw why they put a 305 in a full size truck.. but in the long run the 305 builds I've been involved in all wish they started with a 350 the first time. Most just where not happy with the power they had and the power they thought they should have had.

In the end....This is your truck so do what you want to do with it when you can do it. We are here with advice to help you get your truck to where you want it to be regardless of how we may or may not go about it differently or the same way.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are on a budget, go to a scrapyard, and rip a roller out of a 96-98 Vortec, along with the lifters, dogbones, spider, pushrods. You will need a compatible distributor gear and a new timing chain set.

Probably get the whole thing for $50 or less, save for the timing chain set and distributor gear.

I was going to reply with don't waste your money with the 305 but I have to say that Michael's advice is sound, budget friendly advice.