Cam recommendations for a 305 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my current 305 is in poor shape and low on power. I've been wanting to replace the motor as stated in my last thread.

Currently do not have the funds for a new motor. My cousin has a low miles 305 same as my motor that I just bought for $150. I figured its a good deal even for a 305. So what I would like to do is throw on some parts to get some power out of the wimpy 305, I'm not expecting much just more then stock.

I would like to swap the cam in it for a better/larger cam. Nothing crazy, just a bump up from stock. Power has to be in the idle to 5000rpm range and must work with the tbi unit.

My plans for the motor are to add a rebuilt tbi with all the ultimate mods, pod spacer and adjustable pressure regulator. An edelbrock performer carb manifold non egr and a tbi to carb adapter on top and some headman long tube headers into 3" collectors into single 3" exhaust

I want to have the chip reprogrammed for those mods, delete the egr and air injection

Any input on cams for this setup would be appreciated. I know it's only a 305 tbi, I'm not looking for huge gains just a boost over stock power levels. I figure why not since I only paid $150 and I would like to learn some experience with engine mods

Thanks!

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I right in choosing the carb manifold? I figure it would be a good alternative to buying an overpriced tbi manifold and still flow better then stock.

I'm sure most of you think I'm just wasting time and money with a 305 swap but it's my only option right now and I'm just looking for only a small improvement over what's in the truck now. My current motor smokes and burns oil high miles and knocks. It has to go.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would look into some 416 305 HO heads to increase flow a bit along with a bump in compression. Then a Melling mtc1 cam and a dual plane intake. I wouldn't got 3" on collectors, 2.5" with 1.5" primaries will be plenty. Remember, bigger isn't always better when It comes to exhaust. 2.5 merged into a single 3" wouldn't be bad though.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Depending on what you wanna spend, This ^^^ would make a pretty peppy setup.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you are on a budget, go to a scrapyard, and rip a roller out of a 96-98 Vortec, along with the lifters, dogbones, spider, pushrods. You will need a compatible distributor gear and a new timing chain set.

Probably get the whole thing for $50 or less, save for the timing chain set and distributor gear.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would look into some 416 305 HO heads to increase flow a bit along with a bump in compression. Then a Melling mtc1 cam and a dual plane intake. I wouldn't got 3" on collectors, 2.5" with 1.5" primaries will be plenty. Remember, bigger isn't always better when It comes to exhaust. 2.5 merged into a single 3" wouldn't be bad though.

This is a great idea,

if the engine is pretty new and you don't want to pull heads, then go with that came and get a mail order custom chip or go to a place if you can find one close to do it in person, hard to find for a OBD1 truck.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any opinions on this intake manifold, http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350...9&cadevice=m&gclid=CPCf04LnoMECFW4V7AodB0YAAw I'll be using a tbi to carb adapter with this

Can someone send me link for headers? I can't find any long tube headers that fit a 4 wheel drive 5 speed.

Thanks for the input

That looks fine, could check the summit brand ones too, would be cheaper and headers from there and get free shipping.

I have Hedmans, but like Hooker better.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Hooker-Headers/Hooker-Headers-Competition-Headers-Chevy-GM-Truck/2470517/10002/-1?itemPerPage=60&pno=1