Cam or gears (help please)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes, id hate to have it running 2600. My other turbo truck (6.0 LQ4) ran 1950@70 and it was perfect. Towed like a diesel too.
Could pull 8000# at 70 and never had to unlock the converter in 4th on the hills. It would 60' in the 1.9s with all terrains and run low 12s @5100#.

Its been years since i messed with the older Small Blocks, but i remember that they felt like they had more torque down low but ran out of steam pretty fast.
From what ive gathered the ZZ4 Cam doesnt like to be chugging at lower RPMS even tho it has a -9.5* overlap.

Just thought about it, but do you have a way to look at the live data? Wondering if its picking up any Knock and pulling alot of timing out at the lower Rpms making it weak?

Got a buddy at work with a S10 that is fighting Knock sensor issues. He couldnt pull a small hill in 4th with the converter locked, and 2nd would scream but barely pull the hill. Looked at it with a scanner and it was pulling 10-12* timing on heavy load/low rpms.

I tuned a LQ4 with an Edelbrock Proflow intake and headers in a 71 Chevelle. 4L80E and 4.10s. At 70 mph it is turning just shy of 2,600 rpm and it LOVES it. Just blip the throttle and you are rolling 90+ in no time.

Your 60' is not impressive to me thoughm My NA 5.6 I had in my 2012 Titan would pull 1.9xs 60' times in a 5,300 lbs race weight crew cab truck with an open differential on P305/50R20s. Best pass was a 13.6 FWIW. My NA 2006 Hemi Ram had a best 60' of 1.78 on drag radials.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha I wasn't trying to impress anyone. Just saying it wasn't a dog.
I never set it up for drag racing either. Just wanted something fun to drive and tow with. It went faster on DR's but the lowest boost I could run with the wastegate and stock exhaust it went low 12s @ 118-119 with a tune I used for towing and all terrain tires. Quiet as a factory truck but would murder mustangs and camaros on the interstate back then.

The titan has a 3.8 or 3.9 first gear so I'd hope it would 60'. I had a stock converter 80E with 3.42 and 30.5" tires. Boost didn't come in strong till 50' or so LOL.

I do agree though that going to a lower gear would help his setup, but dialing in the tune and the gear swap it should make a huge difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Richard Jones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of good information here, I am in the process of building a 383 stroker and trying to decide what to do about a cam, my current gear ratio is 3.08 and most people tell me I should go to 3.73 so I'm just trying to figure it all out. It's a 5 speed with 29" tires and I'm usually at about 1800rpm @ 65mph. I'm trying to match my operating RPM range so need to make the gear ratio decision first. Will 3.73 make a pretty big difference? If I stayed with the 3.08 I have no idea what roller cam would even be compatible.... Obviously I have a lot to learn lol

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been out of the country for a few days and am coming back to this. I did order a data logging cable from the tuner and will plug it in when I get home on the 5th.

I was getting the occasional CEL but now it has been on permanently. I am pretty sure the knock sensor is coming into play here. Will know soon enough. Still think the T/C could be an issue also though.

I will say one thing though. I could spend another $3k on cams and gears and I would still be south of what it would have cost me to do this build as an LS. Not debating which is a better motor, but I do question the practicality of installing one cost wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk