Ca smog legal 383 stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as long as I do that and keep a CARB approved cat I should be good to go?

Now they will fail you for having any kind of tune on your truck. Before I moved out of CA I was planning on buying a second computer to tune and swap my stock one back in for smog but I ended up moving before that could happen.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh and it's technically not legal but I know South Dakota will let you register your vehicles there without actually living there. I used to know some people who lived in their RV's full time and that is what they did. It'll look really suspicious for a local kid with a CA license to have SD plates on a modified vehicle though.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I heard I do not know if it is true or not but they are even cracking down and testing out of state stuff even people that are only visiting or have to stay for a short time and they treat them the same way as the people that actually live there imho that is should not be able to be done

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I heard I do not know if it is true or not but they are even cracking down and testing out of state stuff even people that are only visiting or have to stay for a short time and they treat them the same way as the people that actually live there imho that is should not be able to be don

I have not heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. They consider it a California vehicle if it spends the "majority" if it's time in CA, or if you as they owner file CA taxes or anything like that. Either way he'd still be a CA resident since he actually lives there.

I once looked into it years ago to try and get plates for a dirt bike that was a 100% no-go as far as California was concerned. In CA your bike has to be factory street legal (they smog certify the engine design before it's released, they don't smog individual bikes) to ever get a plate. They stopped doing conversions 20 years ago. There are people who claim to know how to do it but they want you to send them the bike and a whole bunch of money and then just wait... no thanks.

All the options ended up being more trouble than they were worth, the SD plates would have been the easiest but also the most obvious if I ever got caught. It's pretty clear-cut fraud.

braidenserpa

Reaction score
Now they will fail you for having any kind of tune on your truck. Before I moved out of CA I was planning on buying a second computer to tune and swap my stock one back in for smog but I ended up moving before that could happen.
how would it be possible for them to know about the tune when its an obd 1 they cant just scan it and see the tune. I makes sense on yours to have had that second computer to swap in but you have a 98 which is obd 2. mine is only old 1 so they won't be able to find the tune or not.

Last edited: