C3500 carrier bearing relocate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can convert the bolt-on yoke to slip yoke style. Haven't done one myself (yet) but had a project in the past that could benefit, toyed with the idea a moment just long enough to discover the option was out there, changed plans and never looked further into it. Do a little searching, might be something you'd be interested in.

Richard
I never thought of that, and you're right, I found the slip yoke conversion part. I called a different driveline shop and they actually carry the part, which is awesome because when I googled up the part number I wasn't having any luck finding it up here in Canada. Thanks for the tip, this will defintely be my solution

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might have to take a trip to the junk yard and check out a 4x4 bearing. Ultimately I’d like to put a 1 piece shaft but my trans yoke is bolt in and the driveshaft shop said I can’t do that cause the slip is in the shaft and not the trans.
The wheelbase may be too long for a 1 piece. Builders rarely go over 7ft long in a single span.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never thought of that, and you're right, I found the slip yoke conversion part. I called a different driveline shop and they actually carry the part, which is awesome because when I googled up the part number I wasn't having any luck finding it up here in Canada. Thanks for the tip, this will defintely be my solution

Ford has been using yoke ends on their trannys and t-cases for years without problems. The slip is built into the drive shaft.
Why bother rebuilding the transmission at a cost of $1200plus, when all you need is a slip yoke driveshaft?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ford has been using yoke ends on their trannys and t-cases for years without problems. The slip is built into the drive shaft.
Why bother rebuilding the transmission at a cost of $1200plus, when all you need is a slip yoke driveshaft?
No rebuild needed. Remove large nut holding the bolt-on style yoke, tap the yoke off, pull tailshaft housing, remove o-ring from the tailshaft, reinstall tailshaft housing.

As far as the driveshaft.. OP, have you got a ballpark figure on how long that sucker is gonna end up being as a one piece?

Richard

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wheelbase may be too long for a 1 piece. Builders rarely go over 7ft long in a single span.
No rebuild needed. Remove large nut holding the bolt-on style yoke, tap the yoke off, pull tailshaft housing, remove o-ring from the tailshaft, reinstall tailshaft housing.

As far as the driveshaft.. OP, have you got a ballpark figure on how long that sucker is gonna end up being as a one piece?

Richard
Yeah the yoke needed is a Neapco N2-3-10431x for the conversion. Simple job too do. My length cup center to cup center is 72ish inches. Give or take a few ticks for measuring around the bearing housing. The shop said 84" is pretty much max for 1 piece so i'm good. I might have to do a C notch on the crossmember for clearance as a shaft that long has to be aluminum and likely 5" dia.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the yoke needed is a Neapco N2-3-10431x for the conversion. Simple job too do. My length cup center to cup center is 72ish inches. Give or take a few ticks for measuring around the bearing housing. The shop said 84" is pretty much max for 1 piece so i'm good. I might have to do a C notch on the crossmember for clearance as a shaft that long has to be aluminum and likely 5" dia.
Sounds good! Obviously you'll want to be sure that on one hand you don't go too long on the shaft so when the suspension is compressed it hammers the transmission with the yoke, but also not so short that when the suspension droops the thing extends past a safe area and lets the shaft wobble or even worse, fall out. There's probably some guidelines out there for the safety margins at each extreme, but I never got far enough with my plan on the swap to look 'em up. If the guys building yours have done plenty for lowered vehicles then they probably have some ideas on that.

Richard

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah when the time comes to get it built I'll get more exact measurements. I've had shafts made before and it all goes off the slip yoke set in the tranny for ride height