C3500 carrier bearing relocate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are you guys raising your carrier bearing? I have a 90 rclb Dually I lowered 5/7 and the kit came with shims to raise the carrier but mine hangs from the crossmember and doesn’t sit on top like the instructions or most pics on the net show. I didn’t get a pic of mine last time I was under the truck. I do have a slight vibration on acceleration because the back half of my driveshaft is almost straight. It’s a djm flip kit and I played with the diff angle a bit but in order to have a decent angle on the shaft my pinion would have to point way down. I don’t want that. I’ll try getting a pic of what I’m working with shortly but I’m sure most of you with this year/style must have the same.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a pic of what I’m dealing with. Hope this helps. And a pic of the truck for fun. Don’t know if I’ve posted any of it since I’ve finished it

Attachments

• B6102FDB-BC9F-429B-B129-AA38ECDAB3C1.jpeg
    B6102FDB-BC9F-429B-B129-AA38ECDAB3C1.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 26
  • EC570DB5-95B3-4B91-9312-045097D8C595.jpeg
    EC570DB5-95B3-4B91-9312-045097D8C595.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 26

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have no experience with this..... I've got a single piece driveshaft on a 4wd at stock height.

I wonder if you could cut a section out of the bracket and weld it back together. Another option would be to see if the other way of mounting the bearing is a simple bolt on.

I like the red painted rims.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the same bracket in my 8-lug 2wd srw rclb, except I lifted mine. It was difficult to say the least. I fabbed a bracket to drop the bracket.

I suppose you could remove the bracket entirely, raise the carrier up parallel to the frame, and then put in whatever shims are needed, drill new mounting holes, etc...

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no experience with this..... I've got a single piece driveshaft on a 4wd at stock height.

I wonder if you could cut a section out of the bracket and weld it back together. Another option would be to see if the other way of mounting the bearing is a simple bolt on.

I like the red painted rims.
I've considered "shortening" the bracket by cutting an inch out of and welding back together, but the weird stamping of it might make it a pain

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the same bracket in my 8-lug 2wd srw rclb, except I lifted mine. It was difficult to say the least. I fabbed a bracket to drop the bracket.

I suppose you could remove the bracket entirely, raise the carrier up parallel to the frame, and then put in whatever shims are needed, drill new mounting holes, etc...
I may end up doing that I guess. Its to bad the bolt spacing of the bearing housing and the bracket aren't the same. I'd just eliminate the bracket and bolt the carrier directly to the crossmember, but that would be too easy lol.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may end up doing that I guess. Its to bad the bolt spacing of the bearing housing and the bracket aren't the same. I'd just eliminate the bracket and bolt the carrier directly to the crossmember, but that would be too easy lol.

It's not just the bolt spacing, the frame isnt flat. It kinda arcs down towards the lower C of the channel. You'd need to make a tapered shim/spacer just to get it flat and horizontal.

Or just install a shorter carrier bearing from a 4x4, but you'd still need to do some work on the x-member.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've considered "shortening" the bracket by cutting an inch out of and welding back together, but the weird stamping of it might make it a pain

Cut it diagonally, maybe a 1/4" above the flat part the bearing bolts onto, and then cut it again an inch above that. You'll probably have to do something for bolt clearance, too.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not just the bolt spacing, the frame isnt flat. It kinda arcs down towards the lower C of the channel. You'd need to make a tapered shim/spacer just to get it flat and horizontal.

Or just install a shorter carrier bearing from a 4x4, but you'd still need to do some work on the x-member.
I might have to take a trip to the junk yard and check out a 4x4 bearing. Ultimately I’d like to put a 1 piece shaft but my trans yoke is bolt in and the driveshaft shop said I can’t do that cause the slip is in the shaft and not the trans.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I might have to take a trip to the junk yard and check out a 4x4 bearing. Ultimately I’d like to put a 1 piece shaft but my trans yoke is bolt in and the driveshaft shop said I can’t do that cause the slip is in the shaft and not the trans.
You can convert the bolt-on yoke to slip yoke style. Haven't done one myself (yet) but had a project in the past that could benefit, toyed with the idea a moment just long enough to discover the option was out there, changed plans and never looked further into it. Do a little searching, might be something you'd be interested in.

Richard