Built tbi vs ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option is keep your 7427 PCM (I think you have), so you can still control your trans, and get a real time emulator such as the APU1 or Ostrich 2.0 and tune with them. A little more hands on since the EBL Flash-II will self learn your fueling tables but, There's Excel spreadsheets around that will help dial it in with data logging and plugging in the numbers then downloading to your PCM.
http://www.moates.net/realtime-emulation-c-95.html

Anyway, if you want to go LS, prepare yourself for changing out the PCM and wiring harness. Its PCM goes under the hood where yours in behind the glove box. Keep in mind the slightly modified TBI 5.7 can out tow and accelerate a stock 5.3 LS all day long.
Is it possible to retain tbi and make decent power for a decent price? 8k is just a little too much for someone of my place in life lol. I would like to retain tbi but if when it’s all said and done I spend more than an ls swap I just can’t justify that.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been a while since I had a TBI, stock at that. But after having one, then having a Vortec, it felt like the TBI had more torque than the Vortec. I think its just because the Vortec takes more pedal to move. But if you want a torque monster, get a 400. I built a TBI406 20 years ago. Wasn't really anything special, just right combination of parts. Dunno how much power it made, but guarantee over 350, torque prolly over 400. It pulled like a freight train, sounded insane, ran great with no issues. Stock 700r4 was not happy, before I sold it literally starting crying lol. Best part, I didn't have it tuned. Didn't even know who did it back then. I put 15k on it before I sold it. Drove it 5 hours one way every weekend. Was over 300 miles, can't exactly remember but had gas left in the tank.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry To get off topic a bit Erik did you wire in the edlebrock fuel inject to the stock ecm? I want to change my 97 to plow flow 4.
I went the Holley Sniper route, and it runs the engine just fine. The distributor is plugged in, but the factory ESC is in a box on the shelf. The stock ECU is still there to control torque converter lockup, but when I get done rebuilding the original engine I'll add a vacuum switch and a relay to control it off of throttle position and the 4th gear pressure switch. Then I can yank the stock ECU and wiring. Eventually I'll plug in a Hyperspark distributor.

I looked into the cost for tuning my own setup, and it was half of what I'd spend on the Holley. I'd already spent money trying to fix the stock TBI, and it was a fiddly mess. You have to hold your tongue just right when bolting it together or it leaks. To get near the power capacity I needed, I also needed to bore it out. If you include the prices of an adjustable FPR, the mini-gauge kit, a pod spacer, a rebuild kit, new injectors, an adapter cable for tuning, and the custom ECU, you're getting near the cost of a Holley Sniper, which can support 600hp out of the box. The only issue I had with the Sniper was the TPS failed - and apparently they all do. All the other issues I've had with it were my own doing: exhaust leak, dorked a cable end, ignition module crapped out, ignition coil fell off.

That said, I'm impressed with what some people can accomplish with the TBI. It's just not for me, although I've considered trying to bolt together a two-TBI setup for my Cadillac-powered crapcan-racing Jaguar.

Plow-flow 4, is that a John Deere fuel injection setup? :p

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec has a bit more TQ than TBI along the entire RPM range; not a huge difference. I posted a comparison of the TQ curves some time ago, but can't find it now.

Most likely it may have been a difference of gear ratios on that comparison?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to retain tbi and make decent power for a decent price? 8k is just a little too much for someone of my place in life lol.
Yes, you can do it for less. Included in the $8K is stuff like high volume aluminum water pump, 3 row aluminum radiator, 4.11 gears, a modified 1227747 ECM, then the EBL, complete (not including evaporator) A/C replacement, distributor, Edelbrock intake manifold, aluminum valve covers, etc. You can get by with stock parts instead of shiny stuff. You may be able to get by with your 4L60E. You can take your stock intake manifold and have it bored to fit the 46mm or even the 7.4L 50mm. I bored my Edelbrock to 48mm for my setup. You can get by with your OE self aligning rocker arms if you delete the guide plates and add hardened washers for spacers. Then get a stiffer cam to get you where you want to be. In the beginning I wanted to be able to pass emissions so, I could always go down to 1.5 rockers if I had to. HTH

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible to retain tbi and make decent power for a decent price? 8k is just a little too much for someone of my place in life lol. I would like to retain tbi but if when it’s all said and done I spend more than an ls swap I just can’t justify that.

The heads are just over a grand. Add a cam, intake, adapter, rockers, headers, exhaust, I don't see why you couldn't knock this out for closer to $3500 in parts. Part of the appeal to staying small block would be the simplicity of the implementation while still hitting your power targets.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about a 454 TBI? Are those available anymore in your area? Should be pretty easy to run on your setup.

I think they were kinda low on power, but like 400 ft. lb of TQ. They were more suited for towing, but that's what the SS got.

It seemed like that was the go-to option in the late 90s and early 2000s before LS because popular, no? I still sometimes see RCSB for sale with those engines that were swapped into them.

Your stock tranny may not like that engine though.

Just throwing out ideas...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How about a 454 TBI? Are those available anymore in your area? Should be pretty easy to run on your setup.

I think they were kinda low on power, but like 400 ft. lb of TQ. They were more suited for towing, but that's what the SS got.

It seemed like that was the go-to option in the late 90s and early 2000s before LS because popular, no? I still sometimes see RCSB for sale with those engines that were swapped into them.

Your stock tranny may not like that engine though.

Just throwing out ideas...

In addition to being gutless, they had a ******* block and we're known for overheating. The heads are boat anchors. I wouldn't ever entertain a 454 TBI swap into something when a GenVI or older MarkIV is also an option.