TBI, Vortec, 6.5…. or LS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

On the left is a 454 tb with oblong progressive linkage. In the middle is a 350 tb with a linear linkage. On the right is an aftermarket LS tb with oblong progressive linkage attached and me holding the optional linear linkage.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About a month after I worked the kinks out of the new transmission (from GM) I threw a rod in my 96’ k3500’s 454. Shopping for a new power plant I am having a hard time investing in a motor that has just never blown me away. Rebuilding quotes are close enough to reman crate quotes that it’s become a bit of question. I LOVE the TBI in my 94’ c3500hd and the 6.5 in the recently purchased 99’ c3500HD. They both tow very smoothly without as much pedal work if that makes sense.

These are 100% work/tow trucks, with 90% of the towing done in-town at 35mph and under. I do a little highway towing and would do more if the trucks liked being loaded and going 70 more.

Monthly maintenance and $$ invested for swap aside (I’ve already hitched myself to this clean, California body/frame and transmission lol) - what would be your recommendations or thoughts on repowering this truck?
About a month after I worked the kinks out of the new transmission (from GM) I threw a rod in my 96’ k3500’s 454. Shopping for a new power plant I am having a hard time investing in a motor that has just never blown me away. Rebuilding quotes are close enough to reman crate quotes that it’s become a bit of question. I LOVE the TBI in my 94’ c3500hd and the 6.5 in the recently purchased 99’ c3500HD. They both tow very smoothly without as much pedal work if that makes sense.

These are 100% work/tow trucks, with 90% of the towing done in-town at 35mph and under. I do a little highway towing and would do more if the trucks liked being loaded and going 70 more.

Monthly maintenance and $$ invested for swap aside (I’ve already hitched myself to this clean, California body/frame and transmission lol) - what would be your recommendations or thoughts on repowering this truck?
If it were mine, I’d find a good Gen6 block and rebuild, but install a better cam (the factory cam in these was “lazy”), a better set of injectors (poor design) and update the ecm to an 0411 with a good tune, and you’d be surprised at the difference.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't like the frame cutting that I normally see when a Cummins is put into one of our trucks.
If they cut the frame to install a Cummins in a GMT 400, it was a not a quality job. It is tight, but can be done on both 2 and 4wd with no frame cutting or body lift. Did enough on both that I designed and made my own mounts.

The 73-87 the frame ahead of the engine crossmember needs notched if you want to retain the low mount ac compressor, but it was only about 3/8” x 10” piece that needed to be removed from the top of the passenger frame rail.

The 73-87 4wd engine crossmember needs to be swapped as it does not let the engine sit properly.

On ALL GM swaps, do NOT use GM motor mounts. They do not seem to last with the Cummins. I used the 1st gen Cummins mounts for years, then redesigned to use the 3rd gen.