TBI, Vortec, 6.5…. or LS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I felt the same about the Vortec 7.4 that I owned, underwhelming. The folks here say you have to rev up the 6.0 to make power, but at least it makes power somewhere.

Still, if it was my truck that I only used around town for work, I'd probably just take the easiest path which is another Vortec 7.4.
If a 6.0L felt like it had power, your 454 was sick. I did a header install and tuning on a 454 TBI in a Class A RV. It was a stump puller. Also tuned a 1991 R3500 crew cab dually with a 454 in it. Last of the square bodies and that stock 454 would easily spin all 4 rear tires with a 4.10 rear gear.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a 6.0L felt like it had power, your 454 was sick. I did a header install and tuning on a 454 TBI in a Class A RV. It was a stump puller. Also tuned a 1991 R3500 crew cab dually with a 454 in it. Last of the square bodies and that stock 454 would easily spin all 4 rear tires with a 4.10 rear gear.

To be fair, I've never owned a 6.0 in a truck. I did swap one in a CJ7 and it was no slouch, spun 33" tires like nothing. Totally stock, but tuned by Black Bear.

The 7.4 had 120k miles on it when I bought it. Ran great. I do think the FPR was going out because it would take a couple times to start sometimes. I didn't love it and didn't want to work on it, so I sold it.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too bad weren't closer, i have a complete Vortec 454 out of a 99 I bought as a parts truck. I'd take a 454 over an LS, as mentioned they don't have the torque down low where a truck needs it. The 99 I have has 180k I think, was a tow pig, and it's tired. It will still lite the tires up (285/75) and scoot down the road. The trans don't like it, 1st-2nd shift isn't there, but once into 2nd, it still pulls. I plan on rebuilding it at some point. But I'd rebuild the current motor or look for another. OR look for an Avalanche 2500 and pull the drivetrain....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't like the frame cutting that I normally see when a Cummins is put into one of our trucks.
It should be possible to swap without cutting into the frame. I have seen a 6BT put into an Express van without cutting the frame or body and that is a much more compact space. It did involve a body lift and a modified core support.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were gonna make a change, I'd do something like a twin turbo'd 4.8 LS.

If not that adventurous, then a used vortec 7.4.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an around-town work truck? Refresh a stock stroke 350 with Vortec heads and a nice cam. That's essentially the engine that's in WCJr, and it's plenty strong for around town work. I towed Roscoe home with it, and it wasn't hurting for torque. You can build it for under a grand.