Carb SBC vs TBI SBC vs Gen 3 LS reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RanchWelder said that I need to replace the injector spider every 2-3 years to keep it running reliably because of the fuel additives causing debris buildup in the filter screen. At that point, an LS swap would be more economical lol.

That is far from correct. The spider I put in my van back in 2006 was the same one I pulled out to put the higher flow AUS spider in it. It was still working great save for the fact that it could not flow enough to handle the 383 on E85.

If someone is getting buildup in the screens, they need to buy Top Tier fuel, keep the filter changed and run Techron through the system before every oil change.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, that sounds like a lot of stuff I’d have to change over if I wanted to have my LS swap be legal.

The main reason I’d want an LS swap would be for reliability and fuel efficiency. Which brings me to a new question:

How could I make my 5.7 be as efficient as a non-AFM 4.8 LS? In terms of reliability, we have already discussed what needs to be done to a stock 5.7 vortec. I estimate I would gain 1-2 mpg if I did the swap, but maybe there’s a way I can keep my 5.7, not do the whole LS swap process, and have something just as efficient. Headers? Cold air intake?

I bring it up because maybe there’s a more cost effective way for me to get the benefits that I want from an LS swap.
again, I would fix what you got. People make LS swaps out to be easy as pie. Not always the case. The money would will spend on the LS swap, will not be overcome by MPGs later.

Cold air intake will do nothing, if your setup is stock, then it is likely colder than the aftermarket. Long tube Headers will make a difference 100% if you can find ones that work.

Full tune up, thick wires, change all fluids to Royal Purple,

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
again, I would fix what you got. People make LS swaps out to be easy as pie. Not always the case. The money would will spend on the LS swap, will not be overcome by MPGs later.

Cold air intake will do nothing, if your setup is stock, then it is likely colder than the aftermarket. Long tube Headers will make a difference 100% if you can find ones that work.

I had a racing kart engine seize on me when I tried Royal Purple. Running 100% methanol.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Intake absolutely does make a difference and a substantial one. The OEM vortec intake is horrible even on a stock truck. When you add headers and exhaust to it, it becomes even worse. The worst restriction is the elbow coming off the stock filter, between the filter and MAF, then the corrugated tube between the MAF and Vortec hat. Finally, the vortec hat is also restrictive because of all the turbulence it creates. A Volant addresses all of the restriction points and makes a substantial difference in the way the truck runs. I also noticed a small improvement in fuel economy, but I was after performance when I swapped it on to first the Suburban and later the Tahoe. The MAF screen is also a fairly large restriction to flow on the stock MAF. Removing the screen will lean the WOT out a bit, so best to know if the fuel delivery is adequate prior to removing it. With the Volant intake the laminer flow screen is almost pointless with the MAFs position in two very straight sections of pipe.

Headers even shorties also make a substantial difference once the rest of the exhaust has been addressed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a racing kart engine seize on me when I tried Royal Purple. Running 100% methanol.
I am not a Royal Purple fan either. I ran Mobil One in most of my vehicles for years. I had a couple of imports that I ran 0w50 Enos oil in. Recently put the Enos 0w50 in the van, it runs noticeably smoother and quieter. Less lifter noise and just all around runs better.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intake absolutely does make a difference and a substantial one. The OEM vortec intake is horrible even on a stock truck. When you add headers and exhaust to it, it becomes even worse. The worst restriction is the elbow coming off the stock filter, between the filter and MAF, then the corrugated tube between the MAF and Vortec hat. Finally, the vortec hat is also restrictive because of all the turbulence it creates. A Volant addresses all of the restriction points and makes a substantial difference in the way the truck runs. I also noticed a small improvement in fuel economy, but I was after performance when I swapped it on to first the Suburban and later the Tahoe. The MAF screen is also a fairly large restriction to flow on the stock MAF. Removing the screen will lean the WOT out a bit, so best to know if the fuel delivery is adequate prior to removing it. With the Volant intake the laminer flow screen is almost pointless with the MAFs position in two very straight sections of pipe.

Headers even shorties also make a substantial difference once the rest of the exhaust has been addressed.
I have a volant, but that is somewhat like factory, it gets air from the fender, which is colder than under the hood. Agreed overall.

So are you saying you have removed the honeycomb stuff in your MAF? Please elaborate.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sucks. i have had the exact opposite experince in the past. I would guess there was something wrong with the kart engine, and not the oil, but who knows
Funny,it had run several races and won them all with castor oil in that engine. I was low of castor oil to went to NAPA and got a couple quarts of Royal Purple. It ran fine in the first heat race and seized after 5 laps in the second heat race. I was building my own engines and all the engines for our team and never had one seize until I poured that crap into it.