Built tbi vs ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys for a little bit now I’ve been pondering on how I could get more power. I currently have a 350 tbi and while it has plenty of power for what I use it for, it’s never enough lol. I’ve done a lot of reading about retaining tbi on built engines through upping fuel pressure and getting a chip burned but wanted to know if it’s really that simple and if by the time you fool with all that if I would be better off ls swapping the thing. Thanks in advance.

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys for a little bit now I’ve been pondering on how I could get more power. I currently have a 350 tbi and while it has plenty of power for what I use it for, it’s never enough lol. I’ve done a lot of reading about retaining tbi on built engines through upping fuel pressure and getting a chip burned but wanted to know if it’s really that simple and if by the time you fool with all that if I would be better off ls swapping the thing. Thanks in advance.
Like my goals would be low 300’s hp and mid 300’s in torque. I’ve pondered the idea of getting a 350 vortec with a mild cam or if I should just get a 5.3 or something.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you doing with your truck? What is "for what I use it for...?" We have no ideas what that means, lol. Street rod? Towing? Strip? RCSB? RCSB? ECLB?
What's your gearing? Stock tranny? Tire size? Converter stall speed?

Too many variables for "quick answer," you what I mean? And different ways to get there...

Basically, no single solution the the "problem!" Need more information...
rear wheel HP/TQ? And what's your budget?

Too many questions to answer!

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you doing with your truck? What is "for what I use it for...?" We have no ideas what that means, lol. Street rod? Towing? Strip? RCSB? RCSB? ECLB?
What's your gearing? Stock tranny? Tire size? Converter stall speed?

Too many variables for "quick answer," you what I mean? And different ways to get there...

Basically, no single solution the the "problem!" Need more information...
rear wheel HP/TQ? And what's your budget?

Too many questions to answer!
Just wanna get an idea on what platform is more practical for performance in that power range. No need to come off that way best no to answer if can’t give me one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like my goals would be low 300’s hp and mid 300’s in torque. I’ve pondered the idea of getting a 350 vortec with a mild cam or if I should just get a 5.3 or something.
If the 5.7L TBI isn't enough for you, you're not going to like the 5.3L LS very much either. A 5.7L+ LS would be required.

The LS is a world-class engine. I'm still not hot on swapping one into a SBC application; and I'm not hot on the 4.8 and 5.3 LS.

Shitcan the crappy TBI heads. Summit sells aluminum heads as a direct replacement for the swirl-port junk. Add some fuel pressure and a "bigger-but-still-mild" cam. Research how to tune the TBI.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you doing with your truck? ...
...Too many questions to answer!

Just wanna get an idea on what platform is more practical for performance in that power range. No need to come off that way best no to answer if can’t give me one.
Stutaeng is right. More info would be better.

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stutaeng is right. More info would be better.
No I get it that more info may be needed to get the build squared away. This thread was just simply asking about engine performance though. What part number are those aluminum heads you mentioned just wondering.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stutaeng is right to a point, he might have been typing his response before you put the HP and torque numbers you were looking for. Shurkey is also right, the TBI to 5.3l won't give you much for the work you're generating for yourself. Not a direct comparison, but my virtually stock vortec 5.7l in my 97 ECLB 1500 keeps up with my friends 5.3l 02 Tahoe. If you know you're going to want closer to 400 HP and matching torque, LS will be able to get you there easier, but it's a lot of work to make it happen. The 5.7l is easier to make the kind of power you're looking for now with a cam and head swap and a tune.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to either retune your TBI, or upgrade your induction system. I went a bit overboard on my power target, so I upgraded to Holley fuel injection. Compared to the limitations of TBI and the learning curve required, it was well worth a few hundred dollars more.

I'm not a fan of LS swaps, just because everybody and his brother is doing them, and a lot end up hacked-together dorked-up dogs.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to either retune your TBI, or upgrade your induction system. I went a bit overboard on my power target, so I upgraded to Holley fuel injection. Compared to the limitations of TBI and the learning curve required, it was well worth a few hundred dollars more.

I'm not a fan of LS swaps, just because everybody and his brother is doing them, and a lot end up hacked-together dorked-up dogs.
Sorry To get off topic a bit Erik did you wire in the edlebrock fuel inject to the stock ecm? I want to change my 97 to plow flow 4.