Broken radiator drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good idea..... I actually saw that done on Youtube on a Tecumseh carb a few weeks ago with a broken something or other on a snowblower.

I dreamed it up one day when I snapped the knob off of my headlight switch and the stalk broke off flush. I melted a #1 Phillips into it and it worked like a champ.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to grasp the photo, But my first coolant change Circa 2001, I snapped the tab, thinking the plug would completely come out. It dose not. Twist and drain. No YouTube, Hanes was not a help. Rad will have to come out. Do not think one can get the part. Keep us informed. Next coolant change, going to pain in the ass pop the lower rad hose.
That's the impression I got with mine - that it stays put. So I'm not seeing how merely gaining purchase to screw it out is going to work. It will have to be physically broken into pieces and extracted in bits I suspect.

I am taking the radiator this weekend to see if i can get it. Autosone had the replacement drain plug
And if it doesn't screw out, how does a new one screw in?

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thinking it pushed in and a quarter turn locks it in place. I’m hoping I can turn it counter clockwise a quarter turn and pull it out

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thinking it pushed in and a quarter turn locks it in place. I’m hoping I can turn it counter clockwise a quarter turn and pull it out
Mine wouldn't come out pulling on it (unbroken) with pliers. It was at that point I figured it wasn't supposed to and quit trying before I broke it.
At a guess, the replacement goes in without difficulty - on the basis that GM managed to fit them. I think you're going to have to dig the old one out though.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure it’s going to be something difficult I’m gonna take the radiator out so I have some room to work.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you heat the screwdriver too much it will become useless as a regular screwdriver.
I would not trust epoxy, it would need exact prep to hope of sticking in a normal application, yours would also involve heat and pressure. Do you want to be stranded or lose an engine when it fails?
Radiators have a lifespan, it might be time to consider replacement before it does fail.
If you do get lucky and get the broken plug remains out then the replacement plug should work.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figure it’s going to be something difficult I’m gonna take the radiator out so I have some room to work.
It's already drained - always the ball ache of removing a rad - so you'd be as well.
I'd attack the plug with a soldering iron. Melt away bits of it until it's broken down into small chunks that can be pulled/prised out. Maybe try slackening it first - if only to see more clearly the plug from the part of the rad it sits in.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
a little update i got the old piece out fairly easily. Just needle nose plyers got it. The new one went in no problem as well. Thank you all so much for your help