Best way to prep and paint rusty frame.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't think I'd want to be under the truck while spraying the acid. There's too much to contain the vapors. I could see maybe brushing it in tight corners where you cant reach with a wire wheel.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'd want to be under the truck while spraying the acid. There's too much to contain the vapors. I could see maybe brushing it in tight corners where you cant reach with a wire wheel.
Would towels soaked in vinegar work, I saw that somewhere on the internet and vinegar is pretty innocuous.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Would towels soaked in vinegar work, I saw that somewhere on the internet and vinegar is pretty innocuous.

No, because it won't combine with the rust/metal to form the protective layer. Vinegar will remove rust, but it would really need to soak. Frame rust would probably just overwhelm a towel.

Edit: I'm not sure how effective the protective layer the phosphoric acid creates is long term. When it dries it's kind of powdery. It looks good for a day, and by the next morning when it's really dry it looks terrible... at least it did for me.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You mentioned Deck cleaner. I'm not sure what concentration that would be but the products I mentioned are pretty mild. Getting your hands in some purple stuff is way worse.. Yeah, you have to use a little common sense using the stuff if your under the truck and pull a few squirts here and there but it not like dealing with muriatic or sulfuric acid.

A lot of us drink phosphoric acid everyday and it's good at cleaning battery posts. Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper what's your flavor.

Last edited:

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mentioned Deck cleaner. I'm not sure what concentration that would be but the products I mentioned are pretty mild. Getting your hands in some purple stuff is way worse.. Yeah, you have to use a little common sense using the stuff if your under the truck and pull a few squirts but it not like dealing with muriatic or sulfuric acid.

A lot of us drink phosphoric acid everyday and it's good at cleaning battery posts. Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper what's your flavor.
Ok I think I'm going to go see what type of rust converter they carry at the hardware store. I'll probably brush it on because I dont have any experience spraying paint, or a sprayer, although I do have a compressor.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
I like the acid wash in a spray bottle deal it doesn't get all over like paint and you can sneek under there and get some on the insides of the rails etc. Maybe it helps.

I've never did a truck frame with bed liner but I have done the bottom of floor pans on cars with bed liner in stead of undercoating. Actually looks pretty nice and seems to hold decently.
I used roll on Bedliner for my frame and it’s pretty thick stuff so im hoping it will withstand the salt

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You mentioned Deck cleaner. I'm not sure what concentration that would be but the products I mentioned are pretty mild. Getting your hands in some purple stuff is way worse.. Yeah, you have to use a little common sense using the stuff if your under the truck and pull a few squirts here and there but it not like dealing with muriatic or sulfuric acid.

Did you see his frame? It's not rusty "here and there" it's rusty all over. He's up north. You don't want to be breathing that stuff.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok I think I'm going to go see what type of rust converter they carry at the hardware store. I'll probably brush it on because I dont have any experience spraying paint, or a sprayer, although I do have a compressor.

You wouln't spray it that way any way. It doesn't leave a finish like paint.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used knotted wire brushes on my angle grinder to clean the rear frame of my dually. Luckily mine wasn't scaled like yours so it'll stay clean a good bit longer, especially since it stays mostly parked in the weak ass winter that we get here in CO. The knotted wire brushes on the angle grinder were much more aggressive than the wire wheels I used on my drill. A flapwheel does pretty well once the big stuff is removed as well but won't clean out the pits.