Best tool for cutting access panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The failure brand is Delphi, went out at 13 months, cut the filter open after and it was full of metal shavings. I reinstalled the delphi sending unit with a Bosch pump. Shortly after that, the float began sticking when i let it get below 1/4 tank. Its physically getting stuck, If i fill the tank I can get it to break loose with a hard left turn, lol.

If your tank gets ruptured, that door wont matter at all, there will be numerous ingress points for leaking fuel. There are many cars driving around with OEM access panels. There is nothing wrong with it at all, period. I can understand why someone wouldn't want one, but i most certainly do in all my cars.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a PROPERLY ENGINEERED, REINFORCED access panel.

What you're likely to do could get you burnt alive. Your family, too.

Fix the REAL problem, instead of inventing a "solution" for living with the problem. If the pumps are failing early...find out why. Millions of other vehicles DON'T have that problem.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The failure brand is Delphi, went out at 13 months, cut the filter open after and it was full of metal shavings. I reinstalled the delphi sending unit with a Bosch pump. Shortly after that, the float began sticking when i let it get below 1/4 tank. Its physically getting stuck, If i fill the tank I can get it to break loose with a hard left turn, lol.

If your tank gets ruptured, that door wont matter at all, there will be numerous ingress points for leaking fuel. There are many cars driving around with OEM access panels. There is nothing wrong with it at all, period. I can understand why someone wouldn't want one, but i most certainly do in all my cars.
I say clean out the tank real good and install a new non-Frankensteined pump/sending unit(Acdelco). I mean the first replacement did die of metal shavings and the second one seems maybe compromised a bit.

Last edited:

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, cant go wrong with a delco, although I considered Delphi to be a quality brand.

LOL, you think if my Yukon rolls over, the windows will be intact? The entire truck is window! Think fuel might pour in through those massive holes? Think the floor might tear and rip from the impact? Are all those Japanese cars with access doors deathtraps? I am fixing the problem, a problem that GM didn't. I also added a fitting to the fuel inlet to run a pressure sensor, I suppose lightening will strike that and my tuck will explode with a big mushroom cloud? I guess none of it matters due to my upcoming fiery death, which is "likely" apparently.

edit: Lets not forget about the 4x4 lever, guess I should rip that out and weld a plate over that hole in the floor?

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, cant go wrong with a delco, although I considered Delphi to be a quality brand.

LOL, you think if my Yukon rolls over, the windows will be intact? The entire truck is window! Think fuel might pour in through those massive holes? Think the floor might tear and rip from the impact? Are all those Japanese cars with access doors deathtraps? I am fixing the problem, a problem that GM didn't. I also added a fitting to the fuel inlet to run a pressure sensor, I suppose lightening will strike that and my tuck will explode with a big mushroom cloud? I guess none of it matters due to my upcoming fiery death, which is "likely" apparently.

edit: Lets not forget about the 4x4 lever, guess I should rip that out and weld a plate over that hole in the floor?
Rob I’m not criticizing, I don’t think you think I am either. I’m just saying maybe it would be worth 1 more shot with an Acdelco. Definitely a new fuel filter too! :waytogo:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

None of those holes are sitting two inches from the fuel tank.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate your Info Caman96,I actually appreciate everyone's info on here. It however seems that GM discontinued the sender assembly. My choices are pretty slim.

The two huge side windows and rear window are all directly above the tank, if it rolls, they will be directly under the tank. The 4x4 lever would also be "downhill" from the tank, but Im sure that brushy thing around the lever is air tight.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For sure, I also need the sender assembly, I have a few pump options. That is just the pump.

Edit: Basically, my choices are Delphi, Spectra, and a slew of off-brand units made by communists, which are all made in the same factory.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, surprisingly Acdelco doesn’t have one. This would be my choice I suppose.
You must be registered for see images attach