'98 5.7l p1345 fix without scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LunchBoxFab

Reaction score
ive been fighting a p1345 code on an old 1998 5.7l motor.

common knowledge is:

Connect scan tool. Adjust distributor to synchronize the cam sensor signal to the crank sensor signal +/- 2 degrees at 1100 RPM.

i dont have access to a scan tool so i threw a couple new sensors at it. after cam, crank and o2 sensors, i started looking around.
without the scan tool, this worked as advertised:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TLDW:
get a new cap
put a hole in the top of the old cap and reinstall
crank it up and rev to 1000rpms
spin the cap on the distributor until the spark is the shortest.

in my application, i noticed my spark was not aligned at all. after turning the cap to align the spark, she ran great and the code cleared up. i did not have to modify the distributor hold down in my application.

just a heads up

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The code will not show up if it is + - 13 even though spec is + - 2. You only need a cheap obd2 reader and dash command app to set it correctly.

Just Nobody

Reaction score
If your off too much it won't work, in that the distributor is unable to move much, not like the old HEI, without bringing up in the intake manifold. However, if your only of a degree or two it usually works.

LunchBoxFab

Reaction score
If your off too much it won't work, in that the distributor is unable to move much, not like the old HEI, without bringing up in the intake manifold. However, if your only of a degree or two it usually works.
yeah, i suspect i may be a tooth off, i had to crack the rotor cap all the way to one side to get the CEL to go away. im as direct with the spark as i can get it.

Just Nobody

Reaction score
If it'll start so you can put a timing light on it to see how much you are advanced or retarded. You can't use the light to time it but it will show how much/which, way your off , or if you are going in the right direction.

LunchBoxFab

Reaction score
If it'll start so you can put a timing light on it to see how much you are advanced or retarded. You can't use the light to time it but it will show how much/which, way your off , or if you are going in the right direction.
that was my first guess. but this engine doesnt have a timing mark?!?!

i bought this jeep with the motor in it, so im not sure what happened there.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how this can work.

Doesn't matter where the distributor is turned, the timing is going to be the same unless the distributor is so freakin' far off that the spark jumps to the wrong terminal on the cap.

RCFallis

Reaction score
1997 Chevy K1500 5.7L Cam Retard
Harbor Freight sells a Zurich OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner. $65 and it reads CaM Retard /CMP and many others. It is a nice tool. Easy setup with an Android device.
It includes the App download and lifetime updates. No subscriptions required. Out of the many choices I picked RPM and CMP Cam Retard. It worked slick on my Samsung Android Pad.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_6765.png
    IMG_6765.png
    490.2 KB · Views: 3

Jacobchevys

Reaction score
1997 Chevy K1500 5.7L Cam Retard
Harbor Freight sells a Zurich OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner. $65 and it reads CaM Retard /CMP and many others. It is a nice tool. Easy setup with an Android device.
It includes the App download and lifetime updates. No subscriptions required. Out of the many choices I picked RPM and CMP Cam Retard. It worked slick on my Samsung Android Pad.
You must be registered for see images attach
This does not read CMP offset. I have this exact model and it reads Ignition Advance for Cylinder 1. Not saying you are wrong, but this model for me definitely does not read CMP offset.