Best riding shocks ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the bilisteins as well.Not sure the number but they are the hd ones, yellow with baby blue boots...as a side note my girlfriend can now visually id them(the yellow and blue ones) and will compliment guys trucks at gas stations and whatnot. "Hey man, are those bilsteins under there?..niiice" most dudes get a real kick out of it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So what did you notice going from Bilsteins to KYB (Monomax or Gas-adjust ?) ?

I have the GR-2s, which are KYBs low line. I didn't really notice much. I don't think 1-ton trucks are very sensitive to shocks, or maybe I'm just not that observant.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just found out that all four of my shocks and the front-end dampener are stock! the mfg date is stamped on them "95". They are Pliacell's made by Delco. These are on a 95 K2500.

They seemed ok to me. I bet I'll notice a difference...

I will probably go with 4600's b/c it's practically a unanimous recommendation. The only thing holding me back is the damn color! I don't want brightly colored shocks underneath a nice stock truck. guess i'll have to get over it. Just wish they were a darker color or silver.

LOL Rattle-can 'em.

joe

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
5100 is for lifted applications. My research led me to believe they're a bit rougher riding than the 4600s.

Mike

I emailed Bilstein and was told the 5100 is valved for a cranked torsion bar up front. The difference is not significant, but it was good to hear from the horse's mouth because there is a lot of speculation as to whether or not there even is a difference.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used 5100s on a gmt800 Tahoe. They are very soft. And ride great! Only can compare them to the factory 13 year old ac delcos tho.

Got rancho 9000xl for the front of my 91. If they don't last I'll just go ahead and get viking crusaders.

I looked at alot of shocks and just found the rancho on sale so going to try them.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've used 5100s on a gmt800 Tahoe. They are very soft. And ride great! Only can compare them to the factory 13 year old ac delcos tho.

Got rancho 9000xl for the front of my 91. If they don't last I'll just go ahead and get viking crusaders.

I looked at alot of shocks and just found the rancho on sale so going to try them.

I looked at adjistable Ranchos for the dually but longevity was an issue for a lot of people.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked at adjistable Ranchos for the dually but longevity was an issue for a lot of people.
That's what I've been reading. That rancho quality isn't great at all.
I have a set on a gmt800 2wd that have been doing good for 12 years. But the ones for the 91 were on sale for 1/2 off so I'll try them.
Worse case I buy some bilsteins or viking double adjustable haha

Rocky454SS

Reaction score
Bilstein and don't look back. Your truck will ride so much better. I will never buy another set of Monroe KYB Gabriel etc etc again. They even have a shock for lowered trucks. They can be custom valved to if you really want to get fancy