Battery/starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stompah

Reaction score
I have a 98 Suburban K2500 with a 454.

I bought it almost two years ago. It came with a two year old Kirkland Signature battery. Few months later it falied.

Battery #1 - I installed an Optima yellow top. That battery lasted about a year or so. The symptoms were the battery not holding a charge. I would put it on a charger all day, disconnected from the car then let it sit overnight, test the voltage and be in the 11s.

Battery #2 - Warrantied the Optima for another one. Went to start the car about a month later and nothing. Jumped it and drove it for the day. This happened for the next week. Sometimes it would hold the charge and sometimes it wouldn't. Took it to the dealership for an oil change and it failed their battery test. I took it to Advance Auto Parts where I bought the battery and had a tough time getting it warrantied again. The kid working there wasn't too knowledgeable about working on cars. We tested the battery and the truck 4 times. 2 times the battery failed and 2 times it passed their test. Everytime my starting and charging system passed the test. They had a nice tester with a clamp for testing the amperage.

Battery #3 - New battery is now a week old. Ran to the hardware store early yesterday morning, got there fine. Bought something and came out to the dreaded click. Put the voltage meter to the battery and got about 12.4 volts. Lights were bright. Had a guy in an older Jeep try to jump me and no luck. When we hooked up the cables we didn't get the telltale spark telling us we had a good connection. Then the wife came with her car and we got that spark. But again it wouldn't do anything but click. So I gave up. The truck was parked in a 30 minute parking stall so I decided to push it to a non timed parking stall so I can leave it there and go to work in my daily driver then worry about moving it after work. I turn the key to drop it in neutral but decide to try one last time. Of course it cranked strong and started right up. Drove it home and left it in the driveway. I tested it a few times and it started right up.

All my terminals are tight and almost no corrosion.

So the first three batteries when they went bad they wouldn't hold a charge and I got the slow crank then click. This fourth battery went straight to the click, still had plenty of voltage.

I am perplexed. At first I thought it was either the alternator overcharging but I had no burnt out bulbs and it tested fine with my multimeter and the last stores tester. Then I thought the starter might be straining the battery. But it passed the part store's test 4 times. And now the click. I would instantly think starter if it wasn't for the crappy performance of Optima batteries so far. Heck the guy in the Jeep who tried to jump me told me he had an Optima that he got rid of because it had an internal short. I don't want the install a $200 starter just to find out the batteries are just complete garbage.

I had this same problem with an 85 Crown Vic. I replaced starter, solenoid, battery cables, ground wires/cables, alternator, voltage regulator, battery and cleaned every contact that I could think of and eventually got rid of the car because I couldn't find the source. I really don't want to go through that again with this truck. I actually like it.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Optimas have gone downhill a little since they sold out to another company a few years ago, but I've never heard of them being THAT bad. Just that you might get a dud once in a while.

If it is testing above 12v I would rule out the battery. I would start by cleaning the battery cables really good or replacing both cables since there fairly cheap. bad or worn cables can cause a lot of headache until you replace them and you get that "oh ****, why didn't I try that in the first place moment."

Stompah

Reaction score
I was actually thinking next time it happens I would use the jumper cables to go from battery to starter. To see if it was the cable.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What you're describing is exactly how my two Optima yellow tops died. I'm not surprised at all. The intermittent failure of your most recent one sounds a lot like what happened to my last one. The side terminal actually fractured internally, so it would make an intermittent connection. Couldn't tell anything from the outside until it started corroding persistently.

Optimas are garbage these days IMO. They sold to Johnson Controls about a decade ago and QC has gone to absolute ****. If you're looking for the best, grab an Odyssey Extreme. That's what I did after I killed two yellow tops in about six months. Now I run the Odysseys in all of my vehicles.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Where can you find Odysseys?

Unfortunately, I second Optimas being junk. They're all I run, but mostly after the first 2 or 3 have been warrantied. Once I get a good one they last a long time. Redtop on my Fireturd has been on it for 5 or 6 years now. Yellow top on my Town Car has been there for 3 or 4 years and that was good right from the start. Firebird's was the one I had to warranty several times.

Stompah

Reaction score
I read that Optima does not recommend using side posts for winches due to the long high amp draw. Apparently the lead they use to connect the cells to the side posts is pretty thin. I might switch over to the top posts.

This Optima was a failed $200 experiment.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read that Optima does not recommend using side posts for winches due to the long high amp draw. Apparently the lead they use to connect the cells to the side posts is pretty thin. I might switch over to the top posts.

This Optima was a failed $200 experiment.
Side posts are the biggest joke known to cars
I’m sure they were created for a reason I just can’t think of a good one

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What I like about them is I've never had to redo one. If the bolt strips out you can slap another one in there. Top posters, well, seems every Ford I've bought has seafoam growing from them or they've been replaced with those el cheapies (Guess people over tighten and break the terminal clamp???) which never make it through a winter without leaving you with your hood up at least once.

mistaake

Reaction score
Try something other than an Optima. See if they'll let you do a warranty exchange for something else - their house brand AGM battery or perhaps for something cheaper and give you the difference in a store credit/gift card? That's what I would do after 3 warranties of an Optima at the parts store I work at...

Optimas suck now, so your experience is the norm.