Battery connection issues.. Help Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M&MsZ71

Reaction score
Hey everyone... So I was wondering for the longest time if anyone has had the same problem I've been having. I have a 1997 Z71 and sometimes here and there... My truck either wont start (no power what so ever) or it will randomly die while running. But the weird thing is.. Soon as a go under the hood and jiggle the positive battery connection it has no problems and is good to go for awhile again. I tried tightening it thinking its just lose and it works for awhile but then it happens down the road again sometime. Does anyone else have problems with these side post batteries? Is there any fixes? Thanks yall

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common problem. Especially if your cables are corroded

What happens is there is a lead crush washer between the two cables and it gets to the point to where you cant tighten up the space between the cable ends.

I fixed mine by buying 2 of these http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...75_-1&keyword=battery+post&pt=N0358&ppt=C0005 and stripping the cover off the wires and using these for battery bolts. No issues since.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I have had the same issues with side post batteries. My truck would randomly not start, so I tightened whichever connection was loose (always positive for me) and the truck started fine. I think the problem is the lead used in the terminals of the battery; they get soft and don't hold they bolt hole shape after a while.

The only remedy I've found is to tighten it whenever it happens until it becomes too frequent or inconvenient. At that point I just get a new battery. Most people would find this expensive but I use the Costco battery program where I bring in my old battery and they just give me a new one. If you want to truly remedy this I would just get a top post battery and switch your positive and negative connectors for those of a top post.

M&MsZ71

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yeah when it first happened, it was right after I bought the truck and put a new battery in. I figured I would just tighten it up and I was hoping it would be good to go. But it keeps on coming lose again unfortunately. So I figured I would ask if anyone had any good solutions because it does get annoying messing with a battery after how many times. Ill try to see if I can get some of those bolts that you got 1997chevydriver and see if that does that trick. If it doesn't I guess my next best option is the top-post conversion.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when you use them you are gonna have to strip off the red cable shielding because those are not long enough to go thru both with the shielding on. I'll see if I have a pic of my set up

M&MsZ71

Reaction score
Ok if you got a pic that would be great..thanks. I am pretty sure I got a good idea of it but a actual pic would help a lot just as reference.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry was busy today but here ya go

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from somewhere in MN

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine I have the top post to side mount terminals on top and they bolt up pretty much the same way and have zero issues, take it apart clean it all up and tighten it good and see what happens, might have a broken wire in the cable?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2