Auxiliary (Dual) Battery Setup Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Not sure if this is digressing too far off topic, if so let me know and Ill ask somewhere else. Would it be much more difficult (other than finding or fabricating a bracket) to put in a secondary alternator to power the auxiliary battery? Really interested in doing this for heavier draws like multiple winches/plow/CB radio amplifier as well as jump starting the main battery. I suppose I could just go with a DC Power alternator but would like to try a dual setup first.

95SAS

Reaction score
Dual battery set up

Running auxiliary lighting and planning on installing a winch I decided on dual battery set up. I purchased #2 wire, copper ends,crimped, Cole hersey isolator mentioned at the start, and a 200 amp DC pwr alternater, in line fuse, aux battery tray and made a bracket for the canister.
Here's the bracket I made for the isolator
You must be registered for see images attach

Here the isolator mounted

#2 wire crimped & soldered & sealed

Here it is wired,also used military battery connectors.

Running now around the starting battery across the front to the aux battery.

also grounded to radiator spout

Here's the anvil crimped I bought off eb*Y

Also made a spacer to remount my charcoal canister

Pretty simple and straight forward
I hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore pics.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just used 0 gauge from the alternator to a fused 1 to 2 distribution block, then 4 gauge to both batteries, then 0 gauge grounds body block and frame, like you said i never run my accessories with the truck off, but I can run my system full blast, ac cranked and roll my windows up and down with all my lights on, and the gauge will never move, with the single battery it would drop down quite a bit in voltage and my power windows would get very slow. Although i do have the 140 amp 454 alternator also. I dont feel there's any need to go over kill with the fuses, i think mine are 150's and I have never popped one. i got rear ended, left my truck sitting almost 2 weeks without getting started between work and scouring a new bed and roll pan and it cranked over first try no hesitation. Not to steer you away from an isolator, just letting you know how it worked for me.