2d Battery Wiring Validation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weiant2001

Reaction score
Looking for Confirmation that I got my wiring plan set up correctly. My isolator came with a yellow wire that I am reading is for an override switch. (in the case your primary battery doesn't have enough juice to crank the motor, I can hit the switch and bring the second battery into play.)

I also want to make sure I have enough planned fuses and circuit breakers.

My Relay Fuse Distribution block is aftermarket for adding the accessories (lights/on board air/power inverter/etc...)

I also don't plan on running everything to the same ground. This was for the sake of the drawing.

You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you running "things" on your aux battery? If you want to use it as a backup for starting you want to run "things" off your primary battery, no?

Weiant2001

Reaction score
I plan on running "things" off the aux battery so I can utilize them without having to run the truck. I do a lot of camping, so being able to run a CB/Hamm radio/accessory ports/a fridge/freezer, lights for managing the campsite at night (sometimes you don't get out there when its still daylight).

My purpose of the second battery wasnt starting redundancy, I just happened to notice with the yellow wire, that it can become a redundancy.

Weiant2001

Reaction score
Wouldn't you just run the override to ignition power? Otherwise I see no way for the alternator to charge it.
Just a question, wouldn't that negate the purpose of the isolator? In the manufacturer drawing it shows it going to a switch and ground. I seen there were other isolators that didn't have this yellow wire. Knowing better now, i probably would have purchased one of them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just a question, wouldn't that negate the purpose of the isolator? In the manufacturer drawing it shows it going to a switch and ground. I seen there were other isolators that didn't have this yellow wire. Knowing better now, i probably would have purchased one of them.

If you wire it as I stated, you can use it as you describe and it won't affect the battery that starts the truck. Wiring it the way you proposed leaves you with no way to charge it off of the vehicle's alternator after use.

Weiant2001

Reaction score
Appreciate that!
If you wire it as I stated, you can use it as you describe and it won't affect the battery that starts the truck. Wiring it the way you proposed leaves you with no way to charge it off of the vehicle's alternator after use.
Appreciate that!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on running "things" off the aux battery so I can utilize them without having to run the truck. I do a lot of camping, so being able to run a CB/Hamm radio/accessory ports/a fridge/freezer, lights for managing the campsite at night (sometimes you don't get out there when its still daylight).

My purpose of the second battery wasnt starting redundancy, I just happened to notice with the yellow wire, that it can become a redundancy.
Perhaps I misunderstood your diagram. Without a way to break the current between the two batteries won't the "things" just drain both?