Dome override gives power to cargo light when activated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj_08

Reaction score
1997 GMC k1500

My cargo light is getting 12 volts power when the cargo light switch is off and when the dome override button is pressed/activated.

I have confirmed that the cargo light switch works. When the dome override button is not activated, the switch controls on off power correctly.

Does anyone know why when the dome override button is pressed/activated, the cargo lamp power wire (dark blue and white stripe) gets power despite the cargo lamp switch being off?

Also, while the blue/white wire is being fed 12v with the override button activated and the cargo switch off, when I press the cargo light switch to on it won't turn the cargo lights on unless I deactivate the dome override button.

Shouldn't the cargo lamp switch being off prevent the dark blue and white wire from receiving 12 volts, regardless of the dome override button is activated or not?

Last edited:

Cowboysteve91

Reaction score
1997 GMC k1500

My cargo light is getting 12 volts power when the cargo light switch is off and when the dome override button is pressed/activated.

I have confirmed that the cargo light switch works. When the dome override button is not activated, the switch controls on off power correctly.

Does anyone know why when the dome override button is pressed/activated, the cargo lamp power wire (dark blue and white stripe) gets power despite the cargo lamp switch being off?

Also, while the blue/white wire is being fed 12v with the override button activated and the cargo switch off, when I press the cargo light switch to on it won't turn the cargo lights on unless I deactivate the dome override button.

Shouldn't the cargo lamp switch being off prevent the dark blue and white wire from receiving 12 volts, regardless of the dome override button is activated or not?
Yes if the cargo light switch is of it shouldn't have any voltage at the light you'll have to pull the headlight switch and see if there is a jump wire running to your cargo light that or you could be back feeding through a ground wire best of luck.

aj_08

Reaction score
Yes if the cargo light switch is of it shouldn't have any voltage at the light you'll have to pull the headlight switch and see if there is a jump wire running to your cargo light that or you could be back feeding through a ground wire best of luck.
I think it's back feeding from the white ground wire that is connected to the courtesy light system. When I take the cargo light bulbs out, the power goes away. A solution is to cut this white wire (and not the other white wire that is for the high mount brake lights) and ground it so the cargo lights are on their own.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cargo light is powered through the interior lighting circuit. That's why it's not functioning when done override is on. Why GM decided to have it operate that way only they know.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Not powered; grounded. The dome lights receive power ALWAYS via the Ctsy fuse. The dome light switches (doors, dimmer switch) GROUND the circuit to activate the lights. The cargo light is GROUNDED via this circuit as well, and powered only when the cargo light switch is turned on - so the cargo light switch AND one of the dome light switches must be on for the cargo lights to activate. The dome override button DISCONNECTS the ground path for the dome/cargo circuit.

Also I think this thread belongs in Audio/Electronics or Interior lol.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cargo light is powered through the interior lighting circuit. That's why it's not functioning when done override is on. Why GM decided to have it operate that way only they know.
The most likely reason is that it was one or two cents cheaper to do it that way. Two cents when you are making a million units is real money.

aj_08

Reaction score
Not powered; grounded. The dome lights receive power ALWAYS via the Ctsy fuse. The dome light switches (doors, dimmer switch) GROUND the circuit to activate the lights. The cargo light is GROUNDED via this circuit as well, and powered only when the cargo light switch is turned on - so the cargo light switch AND one of the dome light switches must be on for the cargo lights to activate. The dome override button DISCONNECTS the ground path for the dome/cargo circuit.

Also I think this thread belongs in Audio/Electronics or Interior lol.
Apologies for the wrong thread. And yes, you are correct, grounded is the key word here.