No reverse lights but cargo lamp still works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flakey_65

Reaction score
I recently got my dream truck a ‘00 6.5. it’s giving me some lighting problems. When I turn on the dome/floor lights only the floor lights turn on. My over head and floor light turns on dimly when the map lights are turned on. I also am having reverse lamps problems, they don’t turn on in reverse but my cargo lamps work and all the bulbs are in good condition and I can’t figure out what the issue is.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1563.jpeg
    IMG_1563.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apples with apples, and oranges so on. Year, make, model, eng. So we know what your working on. There are Dome light, map lights( next to dome) , GM calls the floor lighting " courtesy lighting" . Cargo lighting is separate from backup. Changing item nomenclature in the same paragraph is confusing and lame.
Either both rear bulbs backup bulbs are bad or there is no power. Check fuse?

Flakey_65

Reaction score
Apples with apples, and oranges so on. Year, make, model, eng. So we know what your working on. There are Dome light, map lights( next to dome) , GM calls the floor lighting " courtesy lighting" . Cargo lighting is separate from backup. Changing item nomenclature in the same paragraph is confusing and lame.
Either both rear bulbs backup bulbs are bad or there is no power. Check fuse?
I asked Facebook with the exact same question, phrased the exact same way last night and I’ve gotten like 6 answers already. And it’s a ground issue for the reverse lights and a connection issue for the map/courtesy light issue. Side note you don’t really need to know the model because it doesn’t matter for my issue. I asked for help not your crappy attitude

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Not to mention all the info he asked for is already right there, readily available if one would just read the post. But that's the way things are going around here, cookie cutter responses with very little "help" from some.

For the reverse lights it can be a ground, but if it was, then you'd likely have a problem with the brake lights and park lights as well, as they're all using the same ground. So this makes the switch on the side of the transmission suspect as well as the fuse that feeds it (Turn/BU fuse #16 in the dash), but if your turn signals work, the fuse is ruled out.

The dome lights ... Could be a grounding issue. Power is supplied by the Ctsy fuse, ground is provided when you open a door or override the dome lights on... So there's a missing connection somewhere. Could be as simple as tightening the two screws holding the dome light housing to the ceiling, as the map lights SHOULD be grounded via a ring terminal around one of the screws.

Flakey_65

Reaction score
Not to mention all the info he asked for is already right there, readily available if one would just read the post. But that's the way things are going around here, cookie cutter responses with very little "help" from some.

For the reverse lights it can be a ground, but if it was, then you'd likely have a problem with the brake lights and park lights as well, as they're all using the same ground. So this makes the switch on the side of the transmission suspect as well as the fuse that feeds it (Turn/BU fuse #16 in the dash), but if your turn signals work, the fuse is ruled out.

The dome lights ... Could be a grounding issue. Power is supplied by the Ctsy fuse, ground is provided when you open a door or override the dome lights on... So there's a missing connection somewhere. Could be as simple as tightening the two screws holding the dome light housing to the ceiling, as the map lights SHOULD be grounded via a ring terminal around one of the screws.
I found out where the map light issue is, one of the wires is exposed in the kicker panel and water/snow got into it

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s also worth a quick check in the back to see if you have any “homemade” trailer harness wiring that is damaged. That can cause random issues in the light circuits.