Aux. Radiator Fan ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worked with Sun, Allen, and the Snappy Counselor series oscilloscopes, but never a Bear. I've heard really good things about Bear, but never played with one.

Of course, they're "huge space-wasting monsters, obsolete and useless" at this point in time. Machines that cost well beyond $10,000 in their prime sell on eBay for several hundred bucks.

There's no access point to see the primary ignition pattern in the typical electronic-box coil driver used on distributorless ignitions. With no access to the primary circuit, cylinder shorting for cylinder balance testing is also impossible. Secondary pattern is still readable, though.

There is NOTHING like looking at the current draw of an electric motor--such as the COOLING FAN that started this thread--on a digital storage oscilloscope. You can look at the oscilloscope pattern, see the current draw of each individual armature bar, and determine peak and average amperage load, and the motor RPM.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/612473-tbi-fuel-pump-upgrade.html
See post #2 for 'scope pattern on an electric fuel pump.

The problem is that you have to test a shitload of "good" motors--starter motors, HVAC blowers, electric fuel pumps, fan motors, power-antenna motors, etc. to get feel for what represents good amperage draw and rpm for each of them, because none of that is in the service manual. I refuse to replace an in-tank electric fuel pump without looking at the amperage pattern on a 'scope. There's just too much labor in dropping the tank to not double-check the electrical side of the electric fuel pump. About the same for some HVAC blowers, you 'bout have to take the fender off to get at them.

But almost no-one else in the hobby world has an automotive oscilloscope, so there's little point in asking them to look at the amperage pattern on equipment they don't have access to.

At least with scan tools, there's cheap ones brand-new with warranty, and there's pretty-much no other way to do the job. If you want to dick with OBD engine performance as a D-I-Y project, you'd BETTER have access to a scan tool. The oscilloscope can be sort-of replaced with a cheap multimeter and a spark-tester and some common sense.

Last edited:

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I refuse to replace an in-tank electric fuel pump without looking at the amperage pattern on a 'scope. There's just too much labor in dropping the tank to not double-check the electrical side of the electric fuel pump.

I am with you on this. It is with purpose and milage that any vehicle should have this check. The guy who come into the shop, claiming to take the family on a 1,800 mile round trip in the family truckster who wants it looked over. it 10 years old and a 130k on the dash. This is a perfect time to "See" the electrical activity inside this motor and it's circuit. Plus, like you said, its not that had to do but count the speed of the motor. After a while, you can build a library with notes.

Ture. I had a guy who thought the connector on his fuel pump was bad. He cut it off, then found out it would not start. Towed into the dealer and I accidentally saw the wire colors. It was running but backwards, trying to suck the gas out of the engine and fill the tank.

Disclaimer: No coolant fans, relays or circuits where harm or hurt in any fashion in the above discussion.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whew, you guys are way, way past my little knowledge bank :confused:
So I have one simple question that I think will answer my predicament "should the aux fan when on, run at full capacity" ?? Its not a variable speed unit right, when its on its on period ????
Thank you
Bobby V

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So against some advice I went ahead and ordered a repalcemant fan, good or bad I don't know yet. But I can say that in jumping the new fan from the battery it spins at a much higher RPM than the present one, now maybe Im wrong again, but IMHO th eold fan was just worn out, time will tell as I have to wait to install, rotator cuff sugery recovering from is the reason
Bobby V