Ardent Fab Custom Axle Flip, C-Notch, and Shock Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Hey buddy have you decided yet if you will make the shock mounts to sell?

I think eventually I will but it will probably be a while as I've got a lot going on now with moving and changing jobs. I'll definitely try to keep everyone in the loop though!

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
It's been a while but figured I share an update on the truck. Running the shocks relocated and more upright didn't work out as well as I hoped for. It made the rear end too stiff, it was over damped; too much rebound. If the truck had more weight in the back (rear gas tank or even a spare tire, maybe a four link, etc.) it may have worked out better but it was just too light back there. Come to think of it, when I had the bed loaded up with furniture from moving, it rode really well lol.

I made some shock extenders and the truck rides SOOO much better. Still using the KYB MonoMax shocks so I had to make upper mount adaptors since they didn't use the OEM style mounts.

All custom fabricated even though I could have bought what I needed but what's the fun in that! Sometimes I wish I could just make truck parts all day haha...

Also, since the last time I've posted on this forum, I've overhauled my entire A/C system so it's finally nice and cool for this Texas summer weather. Creature comforts are great [emoji57]
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edit:
These pictures are of the suspension at ride height. The axle will still compress the bump stops before the shock will ever bottom out.

The rear is still a little stiff compared to the front so I plan on getting a set of front springs off a 3500, which are about 50% stiffer.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Hey that's a cool idea.

My problem was that the shocks were too stiff (along with the rear being too light) so I purposefully put more angle into them the get them to have LESS of a mechanical advantage. Also, these shocks aren't off of this truck, I picked it off a Jeep for its length and stroke and for that it's an affordable monotube.

But I appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've goy a 1999 Tahoe 2dr 2wd at the time of purchase it had a 4/2 drop. I installed DJM flip kit in the rear to level the truck out and I'm running the suggested Calmax SuperShock on all 4 corners with the supplied shock extenders and the rear suspension ride quality is sh*t at best. Would these upper mounts help the ride quality of my Tahoe?

Last edited:

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
What rear shocks are you running??
Vehicle make/model

What yr 3500 shocks you going to use?

Sorry for the late response but I'm using rear shocks off a 1975 Jeep CJ5, part number KYB565037 (KYB MonoMax), monotube FTW.

I was planning on using the front springs (not the shocks) off a 3500 since they're stiffer but I actually may have a plan for some custom coilovers, hopefully it'll pan out. However, KYB does also make MonoMax shocks for the front of our trucks and they even suggest them for 0"-2" lowered suspension, that way you can have a matching set of shocks on all corners (and they're pretty decent in my opinion, especially for the price).

I've goy a 1999 Tahoe 2dr 2wd at the time of purchase it had a 4/2 drop. I installed DJM flip kit in the rear to level the truck out and I'm running the suggested Calmax SuperShock on all 4 corners with the supplied shock extenders and the rear suspension ride quality is sh*t at best. Would these upper mounts help the ride quality of my Tahoe?

Does your Tahoe have a C-notch? Typically, you'll want a C-notch whenever you do an axle flip kit. If not, you may not have adequate suspension travel and may even be riding on the bump stops.

Last edited: