C-notch: Which to choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be static dropping my 8 lug C2500. I am having a tough time deciding on notch type. There are two options I'm looking at, both from Reklez Fabrication. One is similar to the many bolt in options out there that typically come with rear flip kits but is weld in and looks a bit sturdier than the Belltech or DJM options. The other is an under-bed step notch that allows for up to 10" of drop. Which would you guys choose? I would like to be able to fill the bed and haul with my C2500 and I feel like the under-bed notch is a good option albeit maybe a little overkill. Eventually I'd like to add helper bags to the rear anyways. Photos below:

Weld in mini notch: Link to Reklez mini notch
You must be registered for see images attach

Weld in under-bed notch: Link to Reklez under-bed notch
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I’ll have to check if they have that for c3500s as well. The bigger the notch the better for ride quality, imo.

edit, looking at it I think those might be for the smaller frames, not one ton or one ton CCLB frames

Last edited:

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All depends on how low you want to go and if you don’t mind cutting the floor of the bed up for the big notch to stick up into the bed. A bolt in notch is just fine if done correctly, meaning correct size and grade of hardware which come with notch. They’ve been around since I built my first lowered truck in 1988.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends on how low you want to go and if you don’t mind cutting the floor of the bed up for the big notch to stick up into the bed. A bolt in notch is just fine if done correctly, meaning correct size and grade of hardware which come with notch. They’ve been around since I built my first lowered truck in 1988.
Even the monster notches are bigger than needed. We cut quite a bit out of my notch and it lays frame with several inches clearance over the axle. Can't get much lower than that!

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to check if they have that for c3500s as well. The bigger the notch the better for ride quality, imo.

edit, looking at it I think those might be for the smaller frames, not one ton or one ton CCLB frames
I’m glad we had the same thought. After looking a bit more I came to the same conclusion. I was going to reach out to him to see if he had dimensions on them.
The bigger one doesn’t require cutting the floor, only the crossmember on the bed. I get what you are saying though. I may end up going bolt in/weld in and then installing some helper bags eventually.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're an 8 lug 2500? On my 6 lug C2500 I did the Belltech bolt-in notch and it wasn't enough. The 14 bolt rear sits lower in relation to the body (closer to bump stops) - making a flip kit's results lower than a comparable kit on a C1500. To get a C1500 an equal amount of drop you'd have to do shackles in addition to the flip. On the C2500 the flip + shackles had it tail-dragging. Anyway with just the flip kit, full 4+1 spring pack, the 14 bolt would occasionally smack the notch, bending it a little bit where the bump stops are.

If you're gonna continue to haul anything, which I did, I'd consider the taller notch. You have more spring in that 8 lug 2500 (should be 5+1) but why skimp on suspension travel?

Richard

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@someotherguy, thanks for the input. Yes, it is the 5+1 pack. If I may pick your brain, I was looking at the Belltech rear flip kit #6650 (link) which gives 6" of drop. To get to 7" I was going to add 1" shackles, which I originally thought I needed. If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying that the combination of the two would have the rear sit lower than the front and that I'm better off just getting the #6650 flip kit by itself? I appreciate the information.

Edit: I think this might be the rear kit I may need for my 8 lug 5+1 pack: #6296 (Link). It is for C3500 and C2500 models. Where as the #6650 kit is for C1500 and C2500 models which makes me think it is for the smaller leaf pack equipped trucks. The c-notches have different part numbers as well between the two linked kits. So in the end I guess i will have a 5/8 drop and will need a different shackle to make it a 5/7.

Last edited: