Any tricks on replacing outer door handle 88-98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to replace my outer door handle on my 94 k1500 removed door panel took bolts loose from door handle ,removed lock rod from handle ,dropped latch down in door still cant seem to rock it out without scratching paint.Do I need to take the power window door card off ?This seems pretty difficult,to remove I hope install is easier.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to replace my outer door handle on my 94 k1500 removed door panel took bolts loose from door handle ,removed lock rod from handle ,dropped latch down in door still cant seem to rock it out without scratching paint.Do I need to take the power window door card off ?This seems pretty difficult,to remove I hope install is easier.
You removed both bolts and both rods from the handle, and it's still not coming loose?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Takes wiggling and pivoting I had this issue but is eventually came loose. I think I loosened the inner shell metal.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed both bolts an the lock rod not the lathch rod,I removed the 3 bolts on the latch and lowered it so the rod wouldnt have to be removed from the handle.Thank you Suburbuns I got it out but getting it back in I am just going to remove the inner sheetmetal all together.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's much easier to remove the inner door panel, you may also have to tape the glass up and remove the bolts so you can run the window system down and have a clear shot at everything.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

94_Z71

Reaction score
Get someone with small hands to help you because there is no good way to do it. It's just too small of a space to work in. I don't know what year your truck is, but my only recommendation would be to replace it with the '88-'94 door handles, which were made of metal. The '95-'98 handles are identical, but they're made of plastic and no way will they last as long as the metal ones.