Any tricks on replacing outer door handle 88-98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a 1994 and my conclusion on this is the easiest way to do it is drill out the inner door handle rivets and remove it ,dont unplug power window wiring ,remove inner door sheetmetal from door and window and rest on the ground.Remove window weatherstripping from door and remove window.Replace outer door handle now that you can get to it.Get all new door panel plastic fasteners on reassembly.

grey wolf

Reaction score
I just went through this a while ago too. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the previous owners of my truck have replaced the outer handles multiple times, so someone already drilled a hole in the inner metal panel to access one of the bolts, and also the outside sheet metal around where the handle sits was already dented and damaged from forcing the outer door handle in and out a couple of times. Using masking tape and a little patience is probably the best way to avoid damaging your door.

It's definitely one of the trickiest outer door handles I've ever replaced! Surprised it is so difficult considering how common a problem it is with our trucks. I spent the big bucks on an AC Delco replacement, and I don't rip my door open like a savage when I get into my truck, so hopefully I don't have to replace it again.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just went through this a while ago too. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the previous owners of my truck have replaced the outer handles multiple times, so someone already drilled a hole in the inner metal panel to access one of the bolts, and also the outside sheet metal around where the handle sits was already dented and damaged from forcing the outer door handle in and out a couple of times. Using masking tape and a little patience is probably the best way to avoid damaging your door.

It's definitely one of the trickiest outer door handles I've ever replaced! Surprised it is so difficult considering how common a problem it is with our trucks. I spent the big bucks on an AC Delco replacement, and I don't rip my door open like a savage when I get into my truck, so hopefully I don't have to replace it again.

Da fuq? I peeled back a piece of saran wrap to access the 2nd bolt with an extension and swivel. Who TF would drill for bolt access? (that's rhetorical)